Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default A ride in a Porsche 997 Carrera S (43 pics + 1 vid)

Hello guys, as I was saying in another topic, today I was lucky enough to have yet another ride in a nice car. A friend was testing this 997S to work on a review for his website and let's say I was in charge of the pics

THANKS JC

We had the car for a couple of hours and it was plenty enough to go a bit north and find some nice and pretty deserted roads where to see how the Porsche behaves..

What a nice ride, gunning up and down a little mountain pass (topping at just 1200 meters, but already enough) was pure adrenaline! he was complaining a bit about how the front felt a bit "vague" and scary at times, waving a bit under stress. Still, grip level was just amazing, the car is really glued to the road. of course the back tend to go wide when lifting up mid corner, but from the passenger seat everything is perfect under control

The sound, oh the sound! I know pretty well how a 996 Carrera sounds like since my uncle has one, and boy how boring it is. The 997S is pure melody, both inside and ouside. It growls in a nice and round way in the lower revs (not too intrusive afterall) but while rushing to the readline the sound transform itself in a pretty highpicthed one which doesn't sound really "Porsche" but gives you shivers on up and down your spine!
The gearbox is very quick and precise as far as I could tell, as is the steering. The brakes were the standard items but very good stopping power and we didn't torture them enough to make them fade, so the carbon ones seem a bit too much for regular use.
As said, grip is at sky high levels, so, turning PSM on or off didn't make a big change (always from the passenger seat beware).
The sport mode for the suspension is impressive, I didn't know (never really thought about it), but it changes in a glimpse, while I thouht it would need some seconds. it's impressive to enter a village with sport mode engaged, feel every small bump, then by pressing the button and putting the thing back to normal, all of a sudden the car become a small GT and bumps seem to disappear (almost).

Oh yes, it's bloody quick and it pulls strong in every gear!

if you want to have a rough idea of the mountain road, here is a 22 MB onboard video:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4349926/997s.zip.html

As I said, pure pleasure and also sooo weird to take pics of a car in various locations, to place it basically like you want, to be able to turn the wheels one side rather than the other.. it's nice, but if you end up with crappy pics you can't blame the way the car was parked like for a regular sighting

I hope you will like the pics, they are 43 and you can find them by clicking one of the preview:

Enjoy!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Carrera_GTcrazy
Regular User

Beautiful pictures!!! Love the 997S with Sport Design rims!

My Photography:
http://www.exoticcarsite.com/gallery...p?g2_itemId=64
Carrera_GTcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
adamwich
Regular User

Some of the best 997 pictures I have seen so far! Very nice! Thanks TT
Old 08-25-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

BTW, as you can see, Summer seem to be gone already around here :shock:

I was just watching my pics again and fuck, they seem to be taken in October or November LOL, not fucking August
Old 08-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Darkel
Regular User

Sexy duck

Really the kind of pic that wouldn't come to my mind, really

Such a nice scenery :good:
Darkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
gucom
Regular User

wow thanks man! as CGTCrazy said, it looks AWESOME with the sport designs, although the steering wheel of the Carrera S is UGLY IMO, its still a beautiful car and i dont think any1 will complain about your pictures...
Old 08-25-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Ghostbat
Regular User

Very nice pictures TT. Blasting up and down mountain roads and still average less than 17 L/100km is very impressive..
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Darkel

Sexy duck

Really the kind of pic that wouldn't come to my mind, really

Such a nice scenery :good:
LOL actually my idea was to shoot the front light of the car, but that damn duck wasn't moving away from the background, so I just said WTF and changed my plan.. it wasn't actually easy to shoot all the duck and not his ass only since it was fishing with the head underwater all the time and the damn ass up pointing to the sky

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
Very nice pictures TT. Blasting up and down mountain roads and still average less than 17 L/100km is very impressive..
Yep, it seem kinda affordable as far as fuel consuption goes. But actually there was also some 20 or more km of highway helping drop it a little bit
Old 08-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
komotar
Regular User

Great story TT!

The 997 S is a great car. The sound it makes while accelerating is awesome.

I had a chance to ride shotgun just like you in the spring and I loved it!!!

The pics are great.

Thx 8)

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
dodo
Regular User

how does it compare to the other cars you drove..? e.g. the maranello?

exoticsonroad.com
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
sameerrao
Regular User

Thanks for the review ...

JC = Jeremy Clarkson?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
Schwalbe

These 997 pictures are exceptional they seem like those official pix taken by Porsche AG.

I'm surprised to see that it's already the end of the summer in Switzerland...While speaking about weather, I hope for you TT that you were not victim of the floods of this week in your Canton.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #13
sl55kleemann
Regular User

Nice trip! I will like to do the same with my friend Murcielago but on thewheel of it
Old 08-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
ARMAN
Regular User

Default Re: A ride in a Porsche 997 Carrera S (43 pics + 1 vid)

Originally Posted by TT
THANKS JC
:shock: Jeremy?

Thanx for review and pics TT Looks great in silver and with those wheels!

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #15
TT
Regular User

Thanks everybody!

Originally Posted by dodo
how does it compare to the other cars you drove..? e.g. the maranello?
Uhm... not sure actually.. it's so much different from Ferraris or Porsches. It seems also to wrap around you more than a 360 does.
It is tipically german, but between the other cars I was in, I would know which one come closer. Maybe the SLK55 actually.
Compared to the 550 is really totally different: the 550 feels every bit the grand cruiser that could be driven 2000 km in a day with no stops if not for petrol, the 997 seems more on its toes, ready to attack the next airpin, even when you cruise at normal speed on the highway, it feels sportier. But well, what is marvellous in the 550 is that when you gun it, it suddently transorm into a sportcar. The 997 is one all the time.

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Thanks for the review ...

JC = Jeremy Clarkson?
LOL, nono

Originally Posted by Schwalbe JG 44
These 997 pictures are exceptional they seem like those official pix taken by Porsche AG.

I'm surprised to see that it's already the end of the summer in Switzerland...While speaking about weather, I hope for you TT that you were not victim of the floods of this week in your Canton.
Thanks for the kind words and for the concern, but here nothing happened

BTW, next week maybe one or two more nice cars' specials