Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-23-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
aks
Regular User

Default McLaren F1 speed record broken?

hey guys,

was just wonderin whether anyone knew if the McLaren F1 record for fast production car (241mph) has been broken officially yet? i read on the Koenigsegg site that the CCR can do 242mph. is this official?

thanks guys, will eagerly await ur replies!
aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
yg60m
Regular User

Not official, just claimed by Koenigsegg
Old 07-23-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
mindgam3
Regular User

and since the CC8S has not yet officially reached its claimed top speed, i doubt the CCR will take McLarens record away from them
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Yeah, exactly,,,,the world record speed has to be done in some certain condition, and it has to be done in the same racetrack as the former record as well as any Guinness records, that it has to fulfill some rules, and test is carefully observed everytime by a Guiness supervisor
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ford Capri 2.8i
Yeah, exactly,,,,the world record speed has to be done in some certain condition, and it has to be done in the same racetrack as the former record as well as any Guinness records, that it has to fulfill some rules, and test is carefully observed everytime by a Guiness supervisor
I doubt it has to be done at the same location. What happens if they build a better high speed strack than Nardo and they do it there? I'm sure it would count. Im sure the "certain conditions" are that the car just remains stock.

And just because it isnt a guiness world record, dosent mean it isnt the fastest car in the world - it just has to be independantly verified. Obviously if it is a guiness world record a guiness world record supervisor would have to be there
Old 07-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #6
possessed_beaver
Regular User

i think all they basicley have to do is reach the claimed speed in a production car nothing else.

weather they do it at Nardo or anywhere else is not important, i reckon the best place personaly would be a long highway.

and most high speed runs at nardo are only made at night, because of the winds or soemthing i believe.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

The CCR and Veyron are the only 2 that could do it but like the others said they have promised more and delivered less

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:42 AM   #8
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
The CCR and Veyron are the only 2 that could do it but like the others said they have promised more and delivered less
I don't know about the CCR, but the Veyron isn't even made yet.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:55 AM   #9
v0od0o
Regular User

Originally Posted by possessed_beaver
and most high speed runs at nardo are only made at night, because of the winds or soemthing i believe.
It's due to the lower temperature, cool air have higher density than hot one and so the amount of air entering the combustion chamber have more oxygen in it if the air is cold, this leads to better combustion of fuel and better performance of the car. 8)
Old 07-25-2004, 06:02 AM   #10
DjPtsatsot
Regular User

Soo what about the whole Tiff Needles fastest acceleration record breaking thing in the Tiger Z100 mk2. They said you need witness', and a couple of other things, but no supervisor etc.
DjPtsatsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #11
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I think the Dauer 962 LM reached 252 mph, but it wasn't officially confirmed. Some rich motherfucker should just put his Dauer on Nardo and own the McLaren. I think they didn't bother with setting an official record for the Dauer 962 because they only built a few.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

in the current newstand issue of evo, a 9ff porsche was aparently running 244mph by nard clock time, and 231 by gps...
id agree with mihai that most of the cars that could beat the f1 in top end either dont do it officially, or are one-offs that dont do it officially

then again, if anybody looks into all the many records set at the Bonneville salt flats... some of those internal combustion engined cars hit 400mph...
Old 07-25-2004, 01:56 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
then again, if anybody looks into all the many records set at the Bonneville salt flats... some of those internal combustion engined cars hit 400mph...
True.. - and the guys at the flats are suffering wheelspin the entire run... imagine if they had traction... :shock:

And 241 or 242 etc ... if you think about it is pretty slow..

Top Fuel dragsters are topping 320mph in 4.6s in the 1/4 mile.. I think it is about time we told all the car manufacturers to take a hike until they can make a car go 300mph.. afterall, they always have way more than 1/4 mile to get to V max..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:35 AM   #14
StanAE86
Regular User

Yeah, but those aren't production cars. For a car to be considered production, even in limited quantities, it has to meet certain requirements. I'm guessing the Tiger was in too limited a production to be considered.

From what I understand, to set or beat a world record, you just need to do it with witnesses. Certain records require certain things to be met. I think those land speed records require two back to back runs within X minutes and within X mph to set a record. I'm not certain you need a Guiness official there or not if it's an event versus some regular Joe with his buddy as a witness trying to set the record for sitting on a pole the longest.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #15
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by nthfinity
True.. - and the guys at the flats are suffering wheelspin the entire run... imagine if they had traction... :shock:

And 241 or 242 etc ... if you think about it is pretty slow..

Top Fuel dragsters are topping 320mph in 4.6s in the 1/4 mile.. I think it is about time we told all the car manufacturers to take a hike until they can make a car go 300mph.. afterall, they always have way more than 1/4 mile to get to V max..
lol, thats pretty ridiculous, as has been said, they're not production cars. Their engines need to be rebuilt every few runs, you dont see a Mclaren needing that doing to them do you?