Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-12-2004, 05:57 AM   #1
Regular User

Default NSX Car Buying Question

Is it risky to buy this car?
The price is quite good and it had only done 36,000kms
The NSX sells new for about AUD$250,000
I wouldn't mind to service it more often than a normal NSX, but what I am worried about is that it could blow up.

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ho...&pg=1&pp=5&d=0

[/url]
Old 10-12-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

Possibly might be too hard edged for the road. Take it for a drive and see. Also look up the info on the race and read about this car's trip through it - did it crash, what broke? You want to check if it is road legal and emissions legal.... Does it have a salvage title / clear title

I drove a stock NSX briefly two years back - it was a real fun drive with an awesome gearbox. Nice engine note too.

A testdrive will tell give you an idea about the general comfort level. But a pre-purchase inspection is necessary to see if the car is healthy

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Mopsdrops
Regular User

Indeed like sameerrao said a test drive before would never hurt. It surely looks good and did'nt had many miles and does'nt cost to much. But engine might could be hurted by racing or at least sufferd. I would say yes cause I don't see any problem's with it.

Go for it
Old 10-12-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
stracing
Regular User

if you go for a test drive, go get a good mechanic with you to check out the car for you.

in nsw theres a department called REVS, its a database of cars. not sure what it is in queensland tho. you could find a little more info about cars with them.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
Regular User

thanks alot, i didn't know there is a department called REVS before, i also didn't think about checking its racing history, going to contact the owner today for a test drive and get a NRMA inspection
Old 10-12-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
gottacatchup
Regular User

NSX are great cars to buy used and because they're Hondas last forever. That one you got there looks like a race version and will probably be very uncomfortable for everyday driving.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:51 AM   #7
sentra_dude

OH MY! :shock: 8)

I want it! I love the NSX...and that one would be just wonderful with all that power, running 11s 1/4mi & 300km/h topspeed...all on pump gas. On top of that, it looks great with those black wheels and minimal exterior modifications (at least for street use)...I wish they had bigger pictures.

Definitely buy it! I know I would if I could come up with that kind of cash.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:19 AM   #8
bmwmpower
Regular User

contact NSX fanclub in your country, they can help you
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:29 AM   #9
styla21
Regular User

Mate i live on the Gold Coast, i've seen the car around. As it's getting close to 10 years old the price is not unreasonable at all, very relative to all the other 94/95 yr models. The mod's indicate a bit of hard driving and that's what is driven for i guess. Carpoint.com.au, just recently put out a 'buying a used nsx' guide, with all the things to look for that it is mechanically known, etc. Read it!
Good luck, be sure to take pics for us
Old 10-13-2004, 05:57 AM   #10
adamk24
Regular User

My good freind just recently bought a black 1992 NSX and it was flawless. It was one of the smoothest running cars I've ever driven. For a 12 year old car with 100,000 miles on it... I was amazed at how mechanically perfect it was. I would be more carefull of a race preped one, but if it appears to be in as good a shape as the ad says it is, I'd say go for it!
adamk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:26 PM   #11
SilviaEvo
Regular User

i say test it and post pics
Old 10-13-2004, 10:31 PM   #12
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
i say test it and post pics
Vids too...8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #13
adamk24
Regular User

if you want a road car...then it's worthless
I wouldnt say that. I thought about this car a little last night, and this is what I decided. There is no substitute for a good drive. We can give you as much 'advice' as youd like, but sence we have never driven it, and you have never driven it, until you do, there isnt really much we can tell you that would be of any great help. Take it for a real test drive. Dont focus so much on the driving or the speeding, but more on the things that would drive you crazy in a daily driver. Annoying sounds, bumps or shakes, gas mileage, how easy is it to see out of, how easy is it to drive.
Just ask youself "Could I drive this everyday and not lose my mind?"
Old 10-14-2004, 01:12 AM   #14
Regular User

thanks a lot guys, i have been speaking to the owner quite a bit over the phone, because of the location the car, i need to make sure i get as much information as i can through the phone before flying there for a test drive.

but it seems that i have to forget about this car and NSX all together because of how much it will cost on insurance.

the cheapest insurance quote i got for an agreed value of $50,000, i would have to pay a premium of $21,000 (14,000 if stock) because of the amount of modification

that is a helll lot of money to pay each year, and i can afford the car but not the insurance

sorry people, looks like there will be no pics or videos about this car
Old 10-16-2004, 03:11 AM   #15
adamk24
Regular User

Man thats some steep rates! :shock: :shock: :shock: