Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
|Nuno|
Regular User

Default Ferrari V12 power for the Quattroporte

Maserati is planning to add a rapid 5.7-litre V12 Quattroporte to its line-up, according to reliable sources within the Italian car maker. The plush new Maserati flagship is aimed at challenging high-end luxury saloon rivals such as the Audi A8 W12, BMW 760i and Mercedes-Benz S600.

Power for the range-topping Quattroporte is said to come from a lightly reworked version of parent company Ferrari’s 5.7-litre V12 engine from the 612 Scaglietti. In the big Ferrari coupé, the 65-degree unit develops 540bhp at 7200rpm and 434lb ft of torque at 5250rpm. However, Maserati is rumoured to be tweaking the engine to bolster its low-end grunt and make it more suitable for the luxurious Quattroporte.

As well as the new V12, Maserati is also said to be in negotiations with Volkswagen for the supply of the German car maker’s highly lauded 5.0-litre V10 turbodiesel for its upmarket saloon, although officials say it is not a particular priority. The rear-wheel-drive Quattroporte is currently offered with a 4.2-litre V8 engine producing 400bhp and 333lb ft of torque.

It is not known whether the new V12 will head into other Maserati models, but with a new Coupé and Spyder planned for early 2006 the chances of the engine spreading across the range look strong.

Together with the V12 engine for the Quattroporte, Maserati is also co-operating with an outside supplier on a new automatic gearbox to be offered alongside the existing Cambiocorsa automated-manual ’box. Maserati sees the new gearbox as the key to increasing sales, particularly in the North American market, though it is remaining tight-lipped on whether it is a traditional torque-converter unit rather than a more contemporary dual-clutch set-up.
-----

Maserati is also said to be in negotiations with Volkswagen for the supply of the German car maker’s highly lauded 5.0-litre V10 turbodiesel for its upmarket saloon
Please, no....
Old 02-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
ikon2003
Regular User

Nice news Nuno. Thanks for the update. I'd really like to see a V12 luxury sedan from Maser. And yeah, i don't really like the idea of a diesel either.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Fuck that Diesel. A Dieles does not belong in a Maserati. :fist: A V12, however, is totally fucking awesome! 8)
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Anonymous

Well performance diesels are o.k, for certain brands, but the likes of maserati shouldn't even consider it IMO no matter how gooder engine it is. V12 quatroporte on the otherhand should be something to look forward to
Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
komotar
Regular User

any word on the release date?

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
sikx5
Regular User

Wow that is some power in the quattroporte..all the more desirable now!

I saw a V10 Tourage the other day in the city and the driver booted it, man that thing picked up and just hauled ass, was shocking seeing something that large move so quick. The diesel will be popular is most euro/asian countrys im guessing so there is a decent sized market for them to sell too.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #7
findleybeast
Regular User

pretty much all that news is good news in my eyes. The 5.7 litre V12 in the Quattroporte would be sick. Make it a real supersaloon. And since the Quattroporte is a saloon/limo, I don't really have a problem with it having a diesel. At least the diesel in question is a high performance V10 with serious credentials. Also, having an optional auto with a torque converter or dual clutch gearbox is a definite area the Quattroporte has lacked, and I think it is a very necessary addition to the car.

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
findleybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #8
jorge
Regular User

That sounds amazing, i would love even more the fabulous Quattroporte with a V12
Old 02-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

this seemed like a logical step for the quattroporte, i was hoping they were going to make this sedan compete with the likes of the S600 and 760i and all. i would most definitly but this over those other cars. i really love the looks of this thing.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
mv
Regular User

Default Re: Ferrari V12 power for the Quattroporte

Originally Posted by |Nuno|
Maserati is also said to be in negotiations with Volkswagen for the supply of the German car maker’s highly lauded 5.0-litre V10 turbodiesel for its upmarket saloon
Please, no....
That's BS...Why in the world would they do that? They have an advanced 4,0l V8 diesel engine featuring UniAir technology producing 380hp under development.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
|Nuno|
Regular User

True, but I think it's part from an agreement with VW. Maserati gives VW the Quatroporte platform, and VW the Diesel engine and Quattro technology for the Kubang.

But like you said, it doesn't make much sense... And I'm with you on this one, I don't think they'll use the 5.0 V10.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
mv
Regular User

True, but I think it's part from an agreement with VW. Maserati gives VW the Quatroporte platform, and VW the Diesel engine and Quattro technology for the Kubang.

But like you said, it doesn't make much sense... And I'm with you on this one, I don't think they'll use the 5.0 V10.
And even if they used it, it would be for sure a Maserati tuned version with well over 400hp so it wouldn't be that bad.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #13
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by mv

And even if they used it, it would be for sure a Maserati tuned version with well over 400hp so it wouldn't be that bad.
Yep, still a Diesel but a bit better. But the thing that bugs me the most is the weight of the thing. The 5.0 V10 is one heavy mofo, and the Quattroporte by itself isn't exacly light... And then there's the sound...

But unfortunately, this seems to be necessary to Maserati's survival, so I guess we will eventualy see a Diesel (the V10 or not) soon.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #14
Fleischmann
Regular User

It si said that 70% ofd S class buyers in the Uk have CDI models... I don't want the same to happen to Maserati This car is probably going to be the fastest 4 door limousine on the road today
Old 02-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #15
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

YES! a V12! but a deisel is not for maserati. but if they made one, it wouuld probably be high-revving and sound great.