Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #1
Nemisis8u
Regular User

Default How do I use Bittorrent?

As the title suggests, how would I go about using one. I downloaded the program and have the .torrent file, but I am unable to connect. Any help would be much appreciated.

"Well, we don't care how bad-ass some dude's naturally aspirated Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900-plus pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you're gonna get a fast and furious old-school ass-whipping."
-=Car Craft=-
Nemisis8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:59 PM   #2
igeorge

Once you have the client program installed you should just be able to double click the torrent file and it should start .. but it sounds like you have either a firewall or router that needs configuring to make it work if you get connect errors, either that or the torrent you're trying to download is now dead

try looking http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#errmsg or here http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html for the solution
Old 12-22-2003, 04:18 PM   #3
maalox
Regular User

You need torrent files to start downloads; it's not a network like kazaa. You'll have to find torrents depending on what you're looking for. www.suprnova.org is a place to start. BTW, leave your uploads on after finishing dling or you're a jerk!
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #4
oldsnail
Regular User

Originally Posted by maalox
You need torrent files to start downloads; it's not a network like kazaa. You'll have to find torrents depending on what you're looking for. www.suprnova.org is a place to start. BTW, leave your uploads on after finishing dling or you're a jerk!
lol, my isp sent me an formal letter that i have maximized my upload limit.
my upload limit is 5 gigs, i uploaded 33gigs last month. they threatened to cut my services.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #5
fishfreek
Regular User

HAHA. Sounds like you need a new ISP.

Free Photo Hosting
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Overmind
Regular User

2 Nemisis8u: well, everything you need is a torrent client, this for example: Burst!, after installing it just doubleclick the .torrent file, chose where to download and that's it...

the second thing you need is allow incomming connections on these ports: 6881-6999 ... if your ISP has firewall, that you cannot tweek, then you're pretty much doomed...

btw: Here's an excellent Guide on the torrent thing...
Overmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
Nemisis8u
Regular User

Originally Posted by Overmind
if your ISP has firewall, that you cannot tweek, then you're pretty much doomed...[url]
Ah crap, I think that I got one of those

"Well, we don't care how bad-ass some dude's naturally aspirated Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900-plus pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you're gonna get a fast and furious old-school ass-whipping."
-=Car Craft=-
Old 12-23-2003, 01:54 PM   #8
Roadster44
Regular User

In XP there is a way to remove that firewall.
Roadster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:41 PM   #9
Nemisis8u
Regular User

^ Please tell me how

-=Car Craft=-
Old 12-29-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
Overmind
Regular User

Originally Posted by Nemisis8u
^ Please tell me how
View network connections -> right click the connection with which you are connected to the internet, chose Properties -> Advanced -> uncheck the "Protect my compter ..."

that of course removes only the "XP firewall" not the one your ISP might be protection you with...
Overmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 03:02 PM   #11
Nemisis8u
Regular User

thnx , atleast I know how to take it off my computer

-=Car Craft=-