Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default GT vs GT40- Damon Hill article

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...742033,00.html

Jeremy is taking a break so damon hills steps in
Old 08-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

ugh, clarkson. the spoiled little twit, lol. its a supercar, SOMETHING is bound to go wrong. that said, i would have bought a ferrari instead. but oh well. excellent article, btw.

The first time I drove it I’d just jumped out of a Ferrari 360 Stradale. It’s a different beast. To get the full satisfaction you have to push that car. It is difficult to be satisfied just driving round in it. Not so with the Ford GT. I have never had such a reaction from people as I did in this car. They love it. I love it. It’s a love-in! But it’s a mistake to compare cars in the quest for what is “best” — that’s one of my messages to members of the P1 club. Don’t say one is right and one is wrong, because it doesn’t work like that. There are different styles and different ways of having a similar experience. Sometimes we feel Stradale, sometimes Ford GT. The GT is what it is, and it’s great because of that. A rightfully proud Ford.
could'nt have been said better
Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
racer_f50
Regular User

Very well written article, had no idea Hill was so good with words

I especially like how he rips on Clarkson for wanting to ditch his GT because of some faulty electronics which can't seem to be fixed.
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:45 AM   #4
zondaland
Regular User

A very nice article indeed, you wonder how it is that an (ex) F1 driver can actually write.
zondaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
styla21
Regular User

Really enjoyed reading, it seems that Damon is down to earth with cars and just has a love for all things auto.. I like the guy, and i liked the review :fadein:
Old 08-22-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
Vansquish
Regular User

Ex F1, Ex Rocker, car journalist...Mr. Hill seems to be doing rather well for himself. I think I could grow to like his views of cars and I'd be willing to bet that his interests and sensitivities are more finely honed than JC's. He reveals in a way that isn't scathing that the GT is an excellent, but flawed (should you care to view it as such) vehicle, but rather than panning it outright, he defines a niche for it. Well written and well done. Thanks for the link!!!

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
JaguarEtype
Regular User

Great review, does highlight the extent of JC's extremisms for perfection.. which will never be found.. i mean he said the electric window switch on the F430 was too far away your always bound to find a problem if your that intent on finding it

although im not a big fan of the new GT, i see it as a bit of a rehash of the gt40 which obviously it is ... my point is they should have produced a road going version say 40 years ago when the real thing had just finished kicking the shit out of ferrari.
as far as rehashes go it is a bloody good one, one: you cant get a real GT40 for enything less than about 400000 pounds.. that is if you can find someone who is willing to sell it to you, two: people in clarkson and Hill's case have an undying love for such a car therefore theres a market niche... that and it goes like hot stink .... pity about the fuel consumption though, which reminds me does any one know why clarkson is taking a break??.. cos im wondering if he has indeed run out of fuel on the way to the top gear office :roll:
JaguarEtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Vansquish
Regular User

JC screwed up his back and was told not to drive for 6 months, so in theory, that's why he's not doing reviews at the moment. Also, the GT40 was available as a roadcar, it was just very expensive even in the '60's and was produced in extremely limited numbers. The original vehicle in Hill's review is one such vehicle.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Old 08-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
crayzayjay
Regular User

Has DH ever written for a magazine / appeared on tv and not plugged P1 every 2 minutes?

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
JaguarEtype
Regular User

Vansquish

JC screwed up his back and was told not to drive for 6 months, so in theory, that's why he's not doing reviews at the moment
ouch thats a career killer, i knew of his frequently mentioned arthritic hip i though it might be that, mind you his back problem could be related.

Also, the GT40 was available as a roadcar, it was just very expensive even in the '60's and was produced in extremely limited numbers. The original vehicle in Hill's review is one such vehicle.
Ford = tight fisted bastards, i suppose making the GT for sale at 111k pounds makes amends for the past then (as apposed to 300k).
does anyone how many Ford is planning to produce in total?, i only know thanks to the article that 101 being sent to Europe, 28 of which to the UK.
JaguarEtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

I think DH had a ghost writer do that bit of prose for him -- He couldn't cut it as an F1 driver with out whining - I can't imagine he can pen such a piece unassisted hehehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
ae86_16v
Regular User

Very nice. . . surprisingly funny too .

Thanks!!!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:33 AM   #13
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

great article.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:17 AM   #14
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by JaguarEtype
Vansquish

JC screwed up his back and was told not to drive for 6 months, so in theory, that's why he's not doing reviews at the moment
ouch thats a career killer, i knew of his frequently mentioned arthritic hip i though it might be that, mind you his back problem could be related.

Also, the GT40 was available as a roadcar, it was just very expensive even in the '60's and was produced in extremely limited numbers. The original vehicle in Hill's review is one such vehicle.
Ford = tight fisted bastards, i suppose making the GT for sale at 111k pounds makes amends for the past then (as apposed to 300k).
does anyone how many Ford is planning to produce in total?, i only know thanks to the article that 101 being sent to Europe, 28 of which to the UK.
I can't recall for sure, but I believe that the entire production run (which should last a couple of years) for the GT is 4500 cars.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:00 AM   #15
GTO
Regular User

Nicely written a welcome change from Clarkson's nitpicking