Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-20-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Competition Package for '05 M3

this is not a rumor guys. for anyone in the North American market, BMW is launching the M3 Competition package beginning with December 04 production.

WOODCLIFF LAKE,NJ NOVEMBER 16, 2004-...Already renowned for it's performance and handling, the new Competition Package takes M3 performance to the razor's edge. Every aspect of the M3's handling has been tweaked resulting in the best handling M3 ever.

The wheels are 19inch forged-alloy with high performance tires. They connect to the suspension that has been tuned specifically for the Competition Package. Turn-in is quicker with a more direct steering ratio that goes from 15.4:1 to 14.5:1.

M track mode and brake system taken from the BMW M3 CSL
The DSC system includes a less intrusive M Track Mode, as on the M3 CSL, to ensure that you have the security of DSC and enjoy spirited driving too. i love how they refer to it as "spirited driving

For inclement conditions, regular DSC remains. The brakes, also adopted from the M3 CSL, include compund and cross drilled rotors. The front rotors have also been enlarged from 12.8 to 13.6 inches. :shock: and i thought those things could stop already :shock:

As the serious enthusiast would expect, the Competition Package will be available with both the 6 speed manual and SMG gearboxes.

Interior enhancements of the package are subtle but purposeful. The Alcantara steering wheel and handbrake grip feel good to the touch. The addition of the steering wheel mounted DSC M Track Mode button requires the deletion of the multi-function and cruise controls.
The Competition Package is available with all interior and exterior color combinations. Two trim items are exclusive to the package. Special Competition Package aluminum trim is included in the interior. A new exterior color, Interlagos Blue, is also exclusive to the Competition Package.

The Competition Package will be available for all 2005 M3 Coupes starting with December 2004 production. It will make it's debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The price for this option is $4,000(US)

I can't wait to see the Interlagos Blue

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:40 AM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

sorry but 19in wheels are far from what should be part of a competition package!!
well, the lower profile run flats that are going to be coupled to them (aside from being a pain in the ass to break down and remount :x ) are going to stiffen up the ride quite a bit due to the rigid, rigid, rigid, did i mention rigid? sidewalls.

Old 11-20-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

19 inch rims make a difference in handling charactaristics near the limit. they are far from gay rice rims... as many performance upgraded brakes require the 19" rims just to fit. cirtainly makes a good car better

they are optional on the standard M3
Old 11-20-2004, 02:12 AM   #4
DUNKiNUTS

repost sorry

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19909
DUNKiNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:42 AM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

where did you get that dunkinuts? i got mine off the bmw centernet website but they didn't include any of the specs. And i really don't care if it's a repost cuz i had to retype all that since the pdf file was secured against content copying

Ronin: F1 cars also go up against much higher loads that an M3 ever will so they need the sidewall flex from the larger tire. but i think if you measure them they all come out to the same rolling circumfrence. And with the treadwear on an F1 tire, you need all the help you can get

from a service point of veiw, i'd prefer the 18's since the 19's, as stated above, are a bitch and a half because of the damn sidewall..even though the 545 tires are worse :roll:

Old 11-20-2004, 03:51 AM   #6
stracing
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
if you want the best perforamnce you go with a smaller rim size. maybe thats why in F1 they have 13in rims.
13 inch is just a rule like the width of the car must not be wider than 1800mm.

this is bmw deciding on the wheel size so you know its good. jason plato said so as well about the 575 having 19" rims
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

and just cause bmw is choosing to go with 19 and cause Ferrari choose to go with it as well doesnt mean its the right choice for highest performance.

though, the cars look good with the 19in.
they are vasty different tire compounds... not to mention the vastly different brake setup in F1... even when using soft race tires, GT class cars run on those rather large wheels too. :roll:
Old 11-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
DUNKiNUTS

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
where did you get that dunkinuts? i got mine off the bmw centernet website but they didn't include any of the specs. And i really don't care if it's a repost cuz i had to retype all that since the pdf file was secured against content copying

Ronin: F1 cars also go up against much higher loads that an M3 ever will so they need the sidewall flex from the larger tire. but i think if you measure them they all come out to the same rolling circumfrence. And with the treadwear on an F1 tire, you need all the help you can get

from a service point of veiw, i'd prefer the 18's since the 19's, as stated above, are a bitch and a half because of the damn sidewall..even though the 545 tires are worse :roll:

sorry thats my little stole pigen that tells me things www.rsportscars.com
DUNKiNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

yes its a rule, but it is also common sense that a smaller tire is actually better. i would be willing to be that if the teams in F1 had the chance to choose the size of the rim they would stick with the 13in, well maybe they would go to 15in but no bigger then that.
as long as you can keep the rolling circumfrence the same it doesn't change much. Keep in mind the E38's had a beefy tire on a 15in rim, and the E65/66 has a 19in rim with low profile tires. the rolling circumfrences are close. Same as on the E39 and E60.

this tends to be the problem with the blingers who put 22in rims on their cars. Once you start going that big, you change the rolling circumfrence and you begin to mess up the ABS wheel speed sensor's reading at the module.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:22 PM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

lets not even speak of brakes, cause if you want the best braking you go with different materials. you dont stick with metallic pads or with metal rotors. how ever if you want the best and cheapest way to upgrade braking you go with bigger rotors, which then youll need bigger rims to fit the bigger rotors.
uber exotic ceramics would be nice, but until cost is no object, and performance gains are obtained... and the rims dont look gay---

i do agree both Ferrari, and BMW have good looking rims... sometimes the AMG wheels miss the ball entirely
Old 11-20-2004, 11:30 PM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

sometimes the AMG wheels miss the ball entirely
swung on and belted, deep to centerfield...that ball willlll...FLY AWAY!!!!