Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-21-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
mit5005
Regular User

Default Nice mustang

I took this on my picture phone at an event in Bradenton. Its a 5.0 mustang that was doin 8.5s. I was surprised to see a mustang turbocharged. Arent they usually better when they are supercharged? Anyways, its a sweet car, and the guy also owned the car under it, im sure you can guess what is. I would like to see what you guys think the supra was runnin hp wise. Its must be good to be rich.
(sorry 2nd image very small)

mit5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
Akmon
Regular User

cool man!
But which is the difference between turbocharged and supercharged? :fadein: :fist:
Akmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
corvette97
Regular User

shit thats one big turbo! i wonder how much psi he is running?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Originally Posted by Akmon
cool man!
But which is the difference between turbocharged and supercharged? :fadein: :fist:
A supercharger is belt-driven, while a turbocharger is exhaust driven. Superchargers don't have lag, while turbos do. Turbos usually produce more power. There are your basic differences.

That particular turbo looks like a 100 mm turbo...or bigger! :shock: :shock:
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
mit5005
Regular User

Yea the mustang had a huge turbo. The guy said the headers themselves cost 7 grand to make. The supra was pushin 1230 hp to the wheels. The owner said the mustand would win in the 1/4 but he supra would probably win on a rolling start. Why would that make a difference anyways?
Old 03-21-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Originally Posted by mit5005
Yea the mustang had a huge turbo. The guy said the headers themselves cost 7 grand to make. The supra was pushin 1230 hp to the wheels. The owner said the mustand would win in the 1/4 but he supra would probably win on a rolling start. Why would that make a difference anyways?

The Supra has a smaller displacement engine, so it's harder for it to spool that huge turbo. That's why it would win from a roll: because the turbo would already be spooled.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
enfermin
Regular User

:x the mustang is a nice sports car, but it is time to make a new one.....with radical changes..............like the gt40
enfermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:51 AM   #8
Evo
Regular User

Originally Posted by enfermin
:x the mustang is a nice sports car, but it is time to make a new one.....with radical changes..............like the gt40
They already got back to their classical looks from the 60's . But some how I am still not impressed.... I got nothing against the GT40 though..
Old 03-22-2004, 07:29 AM   #9
Tomerville
Regular User

Yeah, like Bad said, Supras are only 3.6 liter inline-6s, and to be pushing 1230hp, they are spooling like 2 and more bar of boost.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
mit5005
Regular User

Well the mustang must have around the same hp if its doin 8.5 in the 1/4. I guess the supra has an advantage if the cars are already rolling.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #11
coombsie66
Regular User

Maybe the stang has a suspension set up more for drag racing, so it launches much better than the supra.