Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-31-2003, 09:13 AM   #1
ambry
Regular User

Default BMW X5 4.8

BMW's press release on X5 4.8:

Woodcliff Lake, NJ, December 30, 2003 ...

All-New X5 4.8is

Following close on the heels of the X5 facelift, the new X5 4.8is will offer an enhanced, sportier driving experience beyond the realm of the other X5 models.

The new X5 features an enlarged version of the VALVETRONIC 4.4-liter engine featured in the X5 4.4i. This new 4.8-liter V8 power plant produces 355-horsepower and 360 ft-lbs of torque, and is coupled with a 6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. This abundant power is driven through 20-inch W-rated performance tires - 275/40 front and 315/35 in the rear. Massive 14-inch front/12.8-inch rear disc brakes bring BMWs most potent SAV to a quick and sure-footed stop.

For 2004, all X5 models have been treated to a freshened exterior design, with an entirely (yet subtly) revised front end, new taillights and several fresh new colors.
The long list of standard features include rain-sensing windshield wipers and adaptive headlights with automatic headlight control and self-dimming mirrors. Also included with this package are adjustable and heated rear seats, a ski bag, and a digital compass mirror. For the audiophile, an in-dash CD player is included as is a 6-CD changer. In fact, the list of standard features is so extensive, that all option packages are included in the list price of $70,495 including destination.

As with the other X5 versions, xDrive, BMW's newest all-wheel drive system, helps to ensure optimum performance in all driving situations. The xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system is a completely new design, and it sets new standards among all-wheel drive vehicles for road holding and agility. The perfect match to the X5 4.8is' abundant power, the xDrive system performs stepless and variable distribution of torque between the front and rear wheels at an unprecedented speed.

BMW's xDrive reacts faster than other systems because it not only makes use of the information obtained from the wheel sensors, which signal when any of the wheels are spinning, but also data collected from Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system sensors. Yaw rate, the information regarding rotational movement of the vehicle itself, and the steering wheel position both supply important data concerning the current situation. This enables xDrive to distribute drive power ideally and at any given moment between the front and rear wheels, for instance during cornering, thereby significantly minimizing under- or oversteer.

In addition to the clear increase in agility and driving enjoyment, xDrive also provides great safety benefits. As a result of its fast reaction time, the new system provides greatly improved road holding characteristics. Whether the driving surface is rough or smooth, it only takes a few milliseconds once traction is lost between the wheel and the road surface for the drive forces to be redistributed to the wheels that still have traction. The electronically controlled multi-disk clutch loses no time and reacts immediately.

The X5 4.8is will be available at BMW SAV centers in late Spring, 2004.
ambry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:01 AM   #2
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

That's pretty tight that they are gonna do that, but what I don't get is why they won't just go ahead and put the M5 engine in an X5, it may have to be tuned a little to get more torque but still wouldn't it have more that 355bhp? The wheels and tires on this thing are huge! For $70,000, this will put this X5 in the same class as the Range Rover...I think this is cool but I know BMW could put more power in it and make it more of a competitor with the Cayenne Turbo. Then things would get interesting.
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
phatlee
Regular User

Yeah, pretty ungodly huge tyres on the X5. Though it has all the ability to do offroad work, I can see nary a soul to take their $70,000 toy offroading for fear that itll mess up their paint. Still its nice to know that if you ever needed to go offroading for some reason youd have the machinery and technology to ensure that you can do it safely...
1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 (#634 of 1000)*
*Note to self: Never buy another
-Diamond
-Star
-Malfunction
ever again.....
phatlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
hgt
Regular User

It is interesting that they say 4.8 is an enlarged 4.4. The previous 4.6is was developed by ALPINA. It based on the 4.4 but was strongly modified. Now it's improved even more and they say it's simply enlarged. It really is a different monster.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
Homans
Regular User

Yeah, I dunno. It seems like its trying to slip in between its own 4.4 and the Cayenne series, but i feel like even in a Cayenne S you're gonna be getting more bang for your buck. I really liked the old 4.6is, and i'm sorry to see it go.

No replacement for Displacement.
Homans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
hgt
Regular User

And by the way do you know that the most powerful ver of the X5 was considered being named with the M letter giving an M-X5. But as we all know Mazda already has that name for a long tome. So they have come up with the "is". Plus the M badge should be reserved for manual transmission cars only.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
kiato4
Regular User

Only 355 hp out of a 4.8? Now I'm disappointed... come on BMW... what happened to the 380 hp figure?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
dylan99
Regular User

It's not all about HP it's about powerratio it will still be very fast and I'm sure you'll see the difference between the 4.6.