Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 04-12-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
porkchop07
Regular User

Default Jermaine O'Neil and the RACIST NBA?

Here's the article:
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=121284

In a nutshell, Jermaine O'neil NBA star, says the NBA is RACIST because they want to increase the age limit for drafting to 20 or 21.

It's unbelievable how he can make any correlation between age limit and racism! I don't know i think he's insane.

Ur Thoughts?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
zr2man99
Regular User

O'neil is just stereotyping his own people by saying they are not smart enough to go to college for four years and then get drafted.
zr2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

This is the most stupid shit I have ever heard.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
porkchop07
Regular User

I totally agree its stupid, and if you read the people's comments near the bottom, one guy named HOOP101, he actually tries to defend it, and makes him sound more racist than anything!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
dingo
Regular User

I agree with him, not that it is racist but that players should be allowed to be drafted out of high-school (i.e. 18yo). THe past two Rookies of the Year (and now among the best players in the NBA) LeBron and Amare Stoudemire were both striaght out of high-school so I don't see a problem - they are obviously capable of handling it at that age
Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #6
porkchop07
Regular User

Yes, its true that probably 1% of the players can make it striaght out of high school, ok i dont know the stats but a very small percent. Those are the lucky few, but how about all these other kids growing up seeing, guys like lebron and o'neil coming straight out of high school. They think they can do it too when the majority can't, they don' realize that they need an education b4 they should be playing ball, and i think the league is recognizing this. Those extra two years allow the playes to mature and hone their skills, which can be advantageous to the NBA.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by porkchop07
Yes, its true that probably 1% of the players can make it striaght out of high school, ok i dont know the stats but a very small percent. Those are the lucky few, but how about all these other kids growing up seeing, guys like lebron and o'neil coming straight out of high school. They think they can do it too when the majority can't, they don' realize that they need an education b4 they should be playing ball, and i think the league is recognizing this. Those extra two years allow the playes to mature and hone their skills, which can be advantageous to the NBA.
The best thing said so far. I actually know of a case were a guy thought he can play NBA straight out of high school cause he saw players do it. And well he didnt make it in the NBA and I dont think he got his high school diploma. :roll:
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #8
Cornutu
Regular User

^^ exactly anyone given that much power at a young age without guidance has trouble handling it. If anything I would guess he Oneil makes these comments because of the conflict they had a while back.
2 more notes not totally correlated
1. Amazing how many crimes are commited by athletes regardless of race, as I'm sure many are aware UofM lost its star player because he choked his girlfriend, its almost an accepted behavior of athletes
2. Race should not be a cop out for winning an argument.
Cornutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:59 AM   #9
blah
Regular User

I think they need to go to college so they learn not to piss thier money away on tigers, and also get something so if they do get injured they have a degree they can fall back on.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:16 AM   #10
Pokiou
Regular User

that is stupid.. if something like this ever goes through.. alot of talented peoples dreams will never come true.. all cause 1 guy kicked up a stink ...

what a load of crack...

just like the top gear thread.. a few hippies run outta weed to smoke and they start to find stupid things to complain about ..

Pok
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote