Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
79TA
Regular User

Default Another Cars and Coffee Meet - GT-R, F50, Mosler, Countach and so forth

So this is one of those times again where I had the time and ambition to both attend cars and coffee and post pictures. Seeing insanely rare cars there almost seems too easy . . . I love SoCal.

Here's my facebook album that will give you a good idea of what was there, but 60 of 370 pictures just can't tell the full story.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4d&id=19907323

Here are some larger versions of what i condsidered the highlights:

Toyota 2000GT

Mercedes 300 SL Convertible and Mercedes McClaren SLR's

Early peak at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe

The Mosler

1978 Countach

Steve Saleen's pre-production Ford GT (was sold on Ebay this last week. Now it's for sale at a dealer)

Porsche 959

Nissan GT-R
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
79TA
Regular User

Ferarri F50

and just all the cool and interesting cars in general

Old 09-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Great amount of cars - fantastic lineup and awesome display - but I cant imagine its a great "drive" for anyone.

That many cars travelling to and from anywhwre just becomes a parade train - then again it is a "show" geared towards the "spit n polish" and "must be seen" crowd, rather than the "driver" crowd
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post

Steve Saleen's pre-production Ford GT (was sold on Ebay this last week. Now it's for sale at a dealer)

Whoever the dealer tries to sell to should know a few things.
There is no way shape or form that anybody can legally drive this car on the road.

"the story on this car is it is a PB1 level car. actually pb1-5. it is not street legal in any way, shape, or form. it is 1 of 2 cars that was given to SSV as part of the manufacturing contract for assembly prove out."

It was not a gift to Steve Saleen. No Ford GT's were given as gifts to anyone. All legitimate street legal GT's, including Bill, Edsel, and Sonny Ford's, were purchase at MSRP.

The car cannot be insured on the road, and if it is crashed, if the other guy is at fault, they can actually sue Ford/Saleen for having an illegal vehicle on the road. It cannot be titled or driven without an "M" plate... which would be quite difficult to get.

Last edited by nthfinity; 09-02-2008 at 09:46 AM.
nthfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

All the above is nullified if the car is displaying a dealer plate. Remember all the above "rules" only apply to the car while it was in the possession of the original manufacturer, after that, all bets are off.

You could literally drive a sheet of plywood powred by a gas turbine if its displaying a dealer plate for transport
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
All the above is nullified if the car is displaying a dealer plate. Remember all the above "rules" only apply to the car while it was in the possession of the original manufacturer, after that, all bets are off.

You could literally drive a sheet of plywood powred by a gas turbine if its displaying a dealer plate for transport
Not true here

The dealer plate will not suffice in the event of an accident.

(b) ALL EQUIPMENT IS USED. PURCHASER AGREES THAT THE EQUIPMENT IS BEING SOLD IN "AS IS" CONDITION AND FORD DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES. PURCHASER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT FORD HAS MADE NO REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE SAFETY OR OPERABILITY OF ANY EQUIPMENT AND PURCHASER ASSUMES ALL RISKS ATTENDANT THERETO.

2. Location; Title; Risk of Loss. THE EQUIPMENT MAY NOT BE USED ON PUBLIC ROADS. Upon execution of this Agreement the Equipment shall become the property of Purchaser, and Purchaser shall bear the risk of loss of and damage to the Equipment, including loss or damage that occurs despite Purchaser's or Ford's exercise of reasonable care

http://nthimage.com/Detroit/street_s.../Ford_GT_1.jpg
(Same car, in the original colors in June 2004)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Ferrarizzo
Regular User

Where exactly is the show at TA? Is it every weekend?
Ferrarizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Holy shit.. 2000GT? I needs to get myself out to Cali.

But I agree with RC.. meets are cool - but you gotta get the drivers together to go for a run.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ferrarizzo View Post
Where exactly is the show at TA? Is it every weekend?

It's at the Irvine Mazda dealership (where the other PAG dealerships used to be as well.) It's not far from the Irvine Spectrum. And yes, it's every Saturday, although I did go one day where it was officially cancelled. Despite that, a good number of cars still showed up regardless.

As far as the drive, it's wonderful. There are two things that prevent it from being a big traffic jam. First, the cars all come and go at different times. Some guys are regulars and just show up for maybe half an hour. This is sometimes the case with the guy who drives the Porsche Carrera GT. The fact that they might leave at any moment makes shooting particular cars more difficult.

Secondly, there are a lot of ways to get to the event. It seems most people are kind of lame and just take the 405 to and from there. I ran late that day and used the 405 to get there myself. Otherwise, I take Beach blvd down to PCH to the 133 (a great little stretch of highway) to the event. I take the same route back but usually take PCH back to Seal Beach and then go home a slightly different way. PCH is a great road for cruising and also nicely suited for my car's current mediocre 2.73 final drive ratio.

While I try to leave with a few interesting cars, they always seem to go off in different directions. I do, however, usually end up seeing one or two cars from the show on the 133 or PCH. Then, there are all of the usual car sightings that occur when cruising PCH on the weekend.

The closest thing to a traffic jam that the show has is the line of cars that file in between 6:30 and 7:00. I try to get there early to see this line up, but as I mentioned, I ran a bit late on this particular day.

Last edited by 79TA; 09-02-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Whoever the dealer tries to sell to should know a few things.
There is no way shape or form that anybody can legally drive this car on the road.

"the story on this car is it is a PB1 level car. actually pb1-5. it is not street legal in any way, shape, or form. it is 1 of 2 cars that was given to SSV as part of the manufacturing contract for assembly prove out."

It was not a gift to Steve Saleen. No Ford GT's were given as gifts to anyone. All legitimate street legal GT's, including Bill, Edsel, and Sonny Ford's, were purchase at MSRP.

The car cannot be insured on the road, and if it is crashed, if the other guy is at fault, they can actually sue Ford/Saleen for having an illegal vehicle on the road. It cannot be titled or driven without an "M" plate... which would be quite difficult to get.

I was confused by the car being there. My understanding was that Saleen never bothered to make it road legal (if he somehow could) since he could trailer it most places for fun anyway. So when they just drove that car in and out like a normal road car, I was stunned.

I'm also confused by the R32 driving there. How are those made street legal?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Dang. You beat me to it. If I wasn't configuring a new compy, I'd have the pics up by now.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Not true here

The dealer plate will not suffice in the event of an accident.

(b) ALL EQUIPMENT IS USED. PURCHASER AGREES THAT THE EQUIPMENT IS BEING SOLD IN "AS IS" CONDITION AND FORD DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES. PURCHASER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT FORD HAS MADE NO REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE SAFETY OR OPERABILITY OF ANY EQUIPMENT AND PURCHASER ASSUMES ALL RISKS ATTENDANT THERETO.

2. Location; Title; Risk of Loss. THE EQUIPMENT MAY NOT BE USED ON PUBLIC ROADS. Upon execution of this Agreement the Equipment shall become the property of Purchaser, and Purchaser shall bear the risk of loss of and damage to the Equipment, including loss or damage that occurs despite Purchaser's or Ford's exercise of reasonable care

http://nthimage.com/Detroit/street_s.../Ford_GT_1.jpg
(Same car, in the original colors in June 2004)
I wonder if it was the same car that did the top speed run at Nardó then got featured on Top Gear. It said the car was headed for the crusher, but it could be the same one for sure. Unless Ford made more than one yellow pre-production GT.

This is what the seller says.
This is a rare opportunity to own a piece of automotive history. Not only is this a pre-production Ford GT, but it’s also Steve Saleen’s personal GT. This is vehicle #5 of the 9 pre-production GT’s that Ford reserved for internal use. It was given to Steve Saleen from Ford.

This amazing example has priceless documented Ford history that comes with the vehicle. This was the media car for all early tests on the Ford GT. This vehicle started out as a yellow with black stripes car, which can be seen in various magazines. Once Steve Saleen took delivery of it, he had it sent to the Saleen plant in Troy, Michigan to be disassembled, repainted white with blue stripes (his preference), and then assembled back to factory specifications. Steve also had a one-off supercharger manufactured specifically for this vehicle that you won’t find on any other Ford GT. You will also find a different build plate on this engine (as seen in picture). The build plate reads, “4.6 LITER 4V MUSTANG COBRA.” This is because this pre-production engine started off as a 4.6L block and then bored out to 5.4L. This exact vehicle was featured in such movies as “Rocky Balboa” and “Fast and Furious 4”. It was also featured in the “Supercars” book, which a signed copy by Steve Saleen will be included with the vehicle. This pre-production GT has all the factory options including: McIntosh sound system, Racing stripes, Painted brake calipers, and Forged alloy wheels.Being a pre-production vehicle, this vehicle is not registered as a street legal vehicle and has only been driven on the test track or on the streets with manufacturer plates. This vehicle is perfect investment to add to one’s historic collection.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
I wonder if it was the same car that did the top speed run at Nardó then got featured on Top Gear. It said the car was headed for the crusher, but it could be the same one for sure. Unless Ford made more than one yellow pre-production GT.

This is what the seller says.
no, this car is not the Nardo car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW
This car's VIN is 1FAFP90S25Y400040

While it was likely periodically driven by Steve Saleen, it was not gifted to him; but one of two pre prod cars that SSV had...
The said dealer (at least in the EBAY ad, and likely still... refuses to tell potential costumers that the car CANNOT be registered for road use; among other bits that should be declared... like it not being Steve Saleens car, nor was it gifted to him. He has been told as such, yet does not change his story. Also, the engine was not a bored out 4.6... but the 4.6 that was originally in it was replaced with a production 5.4 dry sump engine.

The Nardo car was not either of the two cars used by SSV

"PB1-1" - The Nardo Car

* VIN: 1FAFP90S25Y400037
  • Color: Yellow with Black Stripes
  • Odometer: 37,886 (as of 8/21/2008)
  • Options: Forged BBS Wheels, McIntosh Stereo, Red Calipers
  • First vehicle in the PB1 pre production build
  • 1 of 2 vehicles (the other being CP15) to be taken to Europe for testing
  • First car to certify top speed at 209.1 mph at Nardo, Italy
  • Roll Cage
  • Dual 5 point Sparco Racing Harnesses
  • Development front cooling aerofoils
  • First prototype vehicle to be driven by journalist in Europe (Cover of Top Gear July 2004)
  • Vehicle used to support numerous track events
  • Has SVT developed track alignment
  • Vehicle used to develop Hoosier R6 track tire
  • Roll Cage
  • Dual 5 point Sparco Racing Harnesses
  • Development front cooling aerofoils
  • A/C Condenser removed for optimal cooling
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/im...ion/svt226.jpg
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/im...ion/svt277.jpg
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/im...ion/svt209.jpg

This car is going for auction for charity in a few weeks under the same stipulations mentioned before. No road use is legal.

Last edited by nthfinity; 09-02-2008 at 11:36 AM.
nthfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Oh. Okay.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
79TA
Regular User

Interesting. They did use their dealer plates to bend the rules then, no? I'm glad I got to see it again.