Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
dangerously_cool
Regular User

Default PS3 Privateering

Hey guys, I'm thinking about stocking up on PS3's when they come out and unloading them on ebay. My question is, do any of you know how many Xbox 360's Microsoft initially released? I've heard that Sony is going to release between two to 4 million Ps3's on release date.

Any of you guys planning the same thing? I think it'd be a great way to make a few bucks.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
R8audi
Regular User

Does sound like a good idea, but i remember when they released the sony psp where i live, sales of the unit were restricted to 1 per person, in order to avoid what you want to do. It might be worth investigating before making any decision.
R8audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
dangerously_cool
Regular User

Were they limited 1/person per store or somehow overall? I've already talked to a few stores, they limited one per family but you can get around that by using friends, and I thought going to different companies (Best Buy, Toys R Us, EB, Gamestop, Target, etc).
Old 08-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
R8audi
Regular User

Yeah, they were limited per store... and I suppose you could go to various branches of the same store, if 1 store had a better price than others, but it seems like quite a mission. I suppose it might be worthwhile if you could make a decent return though.

Good luck on your endeavors
R8audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
dangerously_cool
Regular User

Thanks. Well I've been checking things like release dates with 360 vs. PS3, and Sony's set to release equal to double the number of PS3's vs. 360's but Microsoft staggered their release dates, Nov. for the US but as late as Mar. 23 for Australia, so reaching a worldwide audience with Ebay sounds pretty promising. That, and the average XBox went for 300 above MSRP.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
T-Bird
Regular User

well my buddy made a killing off of the 360 when it first came out since he worked at Best Buy and would get one everytime they came in and turning around and selling them on Ebay for more than 2X the price then turning around and buying another one and keeping the profits each time.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
TNT
Regular User

yeah i know a few of my friends that did that with the 360. the most i think one of they sold for was i think 1000 for just the system. :roll: crazy. but i am waiting for the Wii.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
dangerously_cool
Regular User

When does the Wii come out anyway? I'm going to try to do this for the Wii too.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
ViperASR
Regular User

I dont know if there will be as much of a demand for the PS3 as there was for the 360. It hasnt been hyped to the extent that the 360 was. Remeber a year ago the 360 vs PS3 was everywhere, including the newspaper. But now that the 360 is out, the hype for the hi-performance gaming consoles has died down a little. Maybe I'm wrong, and the PS3 will be an even bigger hit than the 360, but I seem to remember the hype of the 360 at this point in time being much greater.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
dangerously_cool
Regular User

That's true the hype was much greater but I think that PS3 was supposed to be released at the same time so there was a "faceoff" type hype. I'm going to wait a month and see how it's going, but the one consolation is that it will be a breakeven proposition at worst, I'm sure the demand is great enough to sell at cost.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
Toronto
Regular User

most stores (i know of in the toronto area) are not allowing pre-sales except a few sony stores. because of the problems they had with the 360. mircosoft didn't ship the stores the amounts they where given (fell short in a lot of stores) and alot of people where mad because they put money down.

so i know there are gonna be alot of people in canada buying em on ebay.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
TNT
Regular User

Originally Posted by dangerously_cool
When does the Wii come out anyway? I'm going to try to do this for the Wii too.
well i have signed up to get e-mails (offical emails) on when dates are coming. so i will let you know.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Shit man you crack me up. I cant even get one damn PS3 on preorder and you are talking about stocking up on a few!

But seriously though I dont think you will be able to get more than 2, and even if you do selling them on ebay will be a bad idea since the PS3 is already 700 bucks! Do ya really think there are gonna be that many people willing to pay more than 700 bucks? I mean if someone is really desperate they might pay up to 800 but anything more than that and I wouldnt really consider it. Anyways in other words if you can go for it man.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
dangerously_cool
Regular User

I'm going to see what I can do. Pimp Racer, you should check out the price matrix, if you think we have it bad, it's 600 Euros in Europe. Based on that alone Europeans are going to be paying nearly 770 for a full system and the Norwegians are going to be paying 875 (), of course based on current exchange rates. I think the outright price for the system is going to fail to be a deterrant great enough to prevent people from bidding them up. I'll let you guys know what happens when I try this out how it goes.

As for getting more than one, I'm going to enlist the aid of Best Buy, EB, and Target, one from each store. The problem is of course waiting for them in line. I haven't figured that out quite yet, but T-bird, thanks for the idea. A friend of mine is languishing around town not in a UC yet so I'm going to see if I can get him to get a job at Best Buy.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #15
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Yeah I totally forgot what the europeans and them are paying. I know play asia and link sang or whatever are like 600 pounds for the 60 gig version!

Anyways dude just a bit of advice from me. Get both the 60 gig and 20 gig.

From what I have seen when I was lurking the IGN, Gamespot, Playstation and some otehr forums like 2 weeks ago everyone wants the 60 gig version! So I guess you might get people willing to pay more. I know them rich folks that will pay at least a g. But I dont think anyone would have the balls to pay over a g for a 60 gig version PS3. I know my ass wouldnt.

Also on a side note I am considering postponing buying it at start. I still cant make up my mind. Get it when it new or get it a year or two later with more upgrades? So damn hard to think of what I should do since this is a big investement!