Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
bmwmpower
Regular User

Default Esprit to leave UK

Production of the next-generation Lotus Esprit is set to move overseas, possibly to Malaysia, in a cost-cutting move aimed at improving profit at the British sports car maker. The new Esprit is pencilled in for launch in 2007/8, and revealed here in Lotus’ own design sketches (note the Esprit moniker on the rear pillar).

It’s an all-alloy mid-engined design using Lotus’ VVA – versatile vehicle architecture – that allows front and mid-engined designs to be built using the same structural building blocks. And in a shock move, sources say that it could use the AMG-sourced V8 from the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren.

Several sources report that Lotus is looking at overseas production and the plan appears to be an open secret among the workforce at Lotus’s Hethel HQ in Norfolk. ‘The Esprit would be the focus of the decision,’ said an insider familiar with the project, ‘but I think it boils down to a question of whether you harm your brand by moving production overseas.’

Today’s Elise is not being considered for overseas production, according to our source. ‘You would expect us to go with a new car first,’ he said. Although Lotus won’t confirm its plans, in a statement the company admitted to considering ‘additional production sites.

‘Lotus will continue to manufacture cars and components at its headquarters in Hethel, and has not ruled out opening additional manufacturing facilities elsewhere.’ Malaysia is understood to be the favoured option because that’s the home of Lotus’ parent company Proton. And costs are lower than in the UK.

But shifting production of the new £75,000 Esprit – set to be one of the jewels in the crown of Britain’s sports car industry – overseas would be a huge blow to the UK car industry as a whole.

News of the plan will also be a bitter blow to Lotus’s long-suffering workforce. At the end of this year production of the Vauxhall VX220 will cease and new projects such as the Esprit offered hope to the 400-strong workforce that Hethel would be kept busy.

In 2003, Lotus management predicted a rosy future with production of 10,000 cars a year, split between three different models — the Elise, Esprit and a front-engined 2+2 coupe positioned between the two. Lotus says that this strategy is still current. The key to this potential is VVA, which would enable several cars to be developed from the same architecture and so spread costs over a large production run.

In the new Esprit, the engine is likely to be a in-line mounted V8 with forced-induction. The target weight is a competitive 1300kg and racing is a major consideration in designing cooling and aerodynamics. It’s also said to have a sophisticated launch control and stability system.

Meanwhile, sources say that engineering prototypes of the new Esprit have been seen at Hethel in recent days. Observers say that car is being tested alongside a McLaren SLR and that the two share a very similar engine note, fuelling the speculation about the use of the AMG V8.

PICS :

original link http://autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=214409
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

So it's a Daewoo now?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

god, say it aint so!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Anonymous

Originally Posted by RC45
So it's a Daewoo now?
no a proton
Old 04-02-2005, 06:44 AM   #5
mv
Regular User

If it were true the new Esprit would be a serious hammer.. Even the enzo would get a hard time if the engine weren't detuned much. We'll see about it.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
komotar
Regular User

I just hope the weight will be around 1.3 tones or less.

I'd hate to see a 1.8 tone Lotus or something......I don't even know why I'm woried about this....

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
mv
Regular User

Originally Posted by komotar

I'd hate to see a 1.8 tone Lotus or something......I don't even know why I'm woried about this....
But I do. If it weighed 1.8 tones you wouldn't enjoy the test drive that much, would you?
Or isn't there any dealer on who you would play tricks ?
Old 04-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
komotar
Regular User

Originally Posted by mv

But I do. If it weighed 1.8 tones you wouldn't enjoy the test drive that much, would you?
LOL, unfortunatly, Slovenia doesn't have a lotus dealer :cry:

I guess I'll have to go abroad

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
LotusGT1
Regular User

So it's a Daewoo now?
Daewoo's are sold in Europe now as Chevrolet. So that would make some nice in-house competition...
LotusGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
mv
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
So it's a Daewoo now?
Daewoo's are sold in Europe now as Chevrolet. So that would make some nice in-house competition...
The name has changed but the quality etc. has remained. The only difference being is that you can proudly respond to a question like : "What car do you have ?".....Chevrolet
Old 04-03-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
Anonymous

Originally Posted by mv
So it's a Daewoo now?
The name has changed but the quality etc. has remained. The only difference being is that you can proudly respond to a question like : "What car do you have ?".....Chevrolet
thing is the average daewoo customer is barely breathing, so now we will have chevrolets blocking up the inside lanes of motorways and crashing into things, not gonna change daewoos image if their customer base remains 90+ or do much for chevrolets image
Old 04-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #12
oantob
Regular User

I agree with lotus moving, but they should make a factory with much needed supervisor, so lotus cars come out from there still maintain its quality
Old 04-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
coombsie66
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
Originally Posted by mv
So it's a Daewoo now?
thing is the average daewoo customer is barely breathing, so now we will have chevrolets blocking up the inside lanes of motorways and crashing into things, not gonna change daewoos image if their customer base remains 90+ or do much for chevrolets image
Hehe, couldnt have put it better. lol
Old 04-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #14
deth
Regular User

Originally Posted by coombsie66
Originally Posted by AL123
Originally Posted by mv
So it's a Daewoo now?
Hehe, couldnt have put it better. lol
i wouldnt be too worried....as it is, ALL asian elises are already built in malaysia, and the lead test driver for the elise is there as well.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #15
Gnome
Regular User

Originally Posted by mv

I thought komotar meant that there is no reason to worry because the engineers at Lotus know how important low weight is for good handling. Lotus has always made light cars, and there is no reason to stop that now.