Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-17-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
cooperluke
Regular User

Default MG TF - Opinions???

Well, my dad is still thinking in buying a roadster, and he's now considering an MG TF 160 he saw at a nice price, with very less than 20000kms on the clock, as new.

The car is like this one:

Year (of specifications) 2005
Engine 1796 cc 4 cylinder
Transmission manual
Max speed 137 mph
0-60 mph 6.9 seconds
Horsepower 158 bhp @ 7000 rpm
weight 1115 kgs

I've read some nice reviews about the car, but others not so good...
Just wanted to know if any of you has any kind of experience with this car.

I know it's not so sharp-handling has a MX5 or MR2, but my dad wants a compromise between sport and looks, and unfortunately he doesn't like the MR2, that would be my favourite.

So... what do you have to say?

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
gis
Regular User

Personally i hate the looks,but the engine is apparently very good.a guy at the (fiesta ZS) owners club i am a member of traded his fiesta for one and he loves it,says its fun to drive and the engine is nice.IMO try talk him round to the MR2 or MX5 idea,lol

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
cooperluke
Regular User

Well... I love the looks!!!

I like the looks more than in the MR2 and MX5.

Only the interior is too much classic... should be more sportier.

My only doubt is about quality and handling!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
cooperluke
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
MG doesn't exist anymore - so any mechanical problem or any piece you need for the car will be a nightmare to find :bah:

I'd personally go for the MX-5 - reliable, and with lots of Mazda dealers everywhere
I think that the part manufactures have still plenty of parts to sale... but have to check them with a former mechanic from MG-Rover that I know...

About the MX5, the only problem is that there are huuuuuuuundreds of MX5s here in Portugal. And both me and my dad don't find it estetically so apealing has the MG TF.

Bur for me... the TF would be in third option after the MR2, in MX5.

And this TF in particular.. has only 15000km, from 2004, and hunder 20000eur. Seems like a good deal.

I believe it doesn't seem very cheap, but here in Portugal with our taxes , this car cost a lot in 2004.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
Shinigami
Regular User

I drove it.

Interior looks nice, but I'm not a big person, and yet I had some trouble fitting in. I was a pretty tight fit, and whilst once sitting inside I had no trouble driving it, I did find that elbow room, seet reclining and so on, is just no way near as expansive as in an MX5, which also I think, is overall a superior car.

The engine in the MGF and MGTF is good, but boy is the car expensive if you go for the more powerful one.

It has a kind of VTEC (VVT), so that's nice, but the car runs out of breath after a while.

Turning is ok, the shocks/springs I found to be a bit dull and too bouncy.

But it's been over 2 years since I drove it for the last time, so I can't pinpoint my exact perception of the vehicle anymore.

Since MG's gone, I think an MX5 would be a better bet. It is much more reliable, very cheap to repair and modify if the need arises, and overall just more stable. I think you'll also have less roof problems, and less likely to rust since the MGF's were a bit notorious for rust creeping in on some spots.

I do like how the MGF looks like tho', the TF's not bad either, but a few things do change to the worse IMO (looks wise... other then that, it's probably a better car, but that's not saying much). I think the MG's probably only 60% of what an MX5 is. This is just my personal opinion.

IF I recall correctly however, the MGF/TF has a more stiff chassis then the NA and NB versions of the MX5 (i.e. the 89-97, and 98-04 versions of the MX5). There was very little rattles in the MG's I drove, MX5's had more of it (but usually a quick simple fix to eliminate them).
Old 05-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
cooperluke
Regular User

Tiff did a test drive to the TF??

Link, link, link, link, link ???

Old 05-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
get a used TT roadster maaaan....that's the best used convertible money can buy.
i mean, if thats what floats your boat............
Old 05-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
cooperluke
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
get a used TT roadster maaaan....that's the best used convertible money can buy.
TT???

The only one that is worth the money is the 225bhp version. The other versions are, as you say in America "hairdresser cars". Lot's of show, and no go.

A friend of mine has a TT cabrio 1.8T with the less powerful engine, and my dads bmw 320diesel let's it behind going up.

And it's fwd...

The 4wd, 225bhp, is good but for that kind of money, think I can find much better cars to give a few rides at the weekend! It's not for daily use, just some weekends!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Shinigami
Regular User

MX5's better then a TT, so is the S2000, and both can be had at used car prices which are much more attractive. Like it was said, the 225hp version of the TT is pretty good, but only in coupé form. The convertible TT is just way too heavy unfortunately. A 3.2 DSG convertible TT is quite a nice car, but more then triple what a used MGF/MGTF/MX5 would cost.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
cooperluke
Regular User

Default MG TF - Opinions??? Now... S2000

Well, I've been talking to my dad and he's now seeing the Z4 2.5 and the S2000.... much better options, but much more expensive...

I know the Z4 is a good compromise, because I've already driven one, and liked it very much. It manages to do averages between 9-10l/100km in normal driving, not bad for a car with almost 200hp!!

What about the S2000? Is easy to drive in city? And consumptions?? Does it drink a lot? I'm not asking data from magazines or catalogues, but real experience!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Shinigami
Regular User

Go to S2ki.org if you want solid info on the S2000.

It doesn't consume that much if you drive it easy. However, this car needs to be revved up a LOT to make it move fast, and this in turn will move the consumption higher.

It's not a difficult car to drive, but many people lose control of it as the rear end tends to break loose in some situations (happened to me, but I got it back under control). Torque is not very high, but the car is light. Nevertheless, you'll end up frequently having to rev her up when driving in the city. It is however a big pleasure to keep her revved up.

There's less space inside then in the Z4. I hope you or your dad are not big (wide) people, or you'll feel squashed.

It does roughly the same as the 2.5l Z4 in consumption, but the digital gas meter is hard to read and you need to be careful that you don't run out of gas.

It's a much funner car to drive then the Z4.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
cooperluke
Regular User

Thanks for the hints. Anyone else with a Z4 or S2000 that wants to share his/her experiences?