Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 02-16-2004, 02:45 AM   #1
nchs09

Default i got a couple of quetions..

and i dont want to make several threads.... so here they go

1)What exactly does the different slip differential do???
2)Is it easy to rip dvds into the comp? cause i got the tiesto dvd and i want to put it into mpg in my comp
3)where can i get info on autocross info.. like locations and wut nots?
nchs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:04 AM   #2
666fast
Regular User

1. differentiate's stuff
2. I don't know
3. http://www.scca.org/
Old 02-16-2004, 03:13 AM   #3
deth
Regular User

^^ i thought limited slip diffs lock up the rear diff after a certain amoumt of slip has been allowed. an open diff allows the wheels to turn at different rates, which is great for tire wear, but when u're driving hard the torque distribution isnt equal and the inside tire spins, the LSD stops this by locking the diff so they turn at the same rate...this is just my understanding..if somebody who actually knows please correct me or confirm my beliefs!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:13 AM   #4
novass
Regular User

Default Re: i got a couple of quetions..

Originally Posted by nchs09
2)Is it easy to rip dvds into the comp? cause i got the tiesto dvd and i want to put it into mpg in my comp

http://www.dvdripguides.com/dvdrip3c.php

Try this place out. Im still trying to get the hang of the whole thing, but the first one I tried worked.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:24 AM   #5
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by deth
^^ i thought limited slip diffs lock up the rear diff after a certain amoumt of slip has been allowed. an open diff allows the wheels to turn at different rates, which is great for tire wear, but when u're driving hard the torque distribution isnt equal and the inside tire spins, the LSD stops this by locking the diff so they turn at the same rate...this is just my understanding..if somebody who actually knows please correct me or confirm my beliefs!
You might be right. I don't know for sure what it does. All I know is that it works.
I'll edit the post and make it better
Old 02-16-2004, 03:28 AM   #6
deth
Regular User

i was sorta right

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm

"This type of LSD has all of the same components as an open differential, but it adds a spring pack and a set of clutches. Some of these have a cone clutch that is just like the synchronizers in a manual transmission.

The spring pack pushes the side gears against the clutches, which are attached to the cage. Both side gears spin with the cage when both wheels are moving at the same speed, and the clutches aren't really needed -- the only time the clutches step in is when something happens to make one wheel spin faster than the other, as in a turn. The clutches fight this behavior, wanting both wheels to go the same speed. If one wheel wants to spin faster than the other, it must first overpower the clutch. The stiffness of the springs combined with the friction of the clutch determine how much torque it takes to overpower it.

Getting back to the situation in which one drive wheel is on the ice and the other one has good traction: With this limited slip differential, even though the wheel on the ice is not able to transmit much torque to the ground, the other wheel will still get the torque it needs to move. The torque supplied to the wheel not on the ice is equal to the amount of torque it takes to overpower the clutches. The result is that you can move forward, although still not with the full power of your car. "
Old 02-16-2004, 03:49 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: i got a couple of quetions..

Originally Posted by nchs09
and i dont want to make several threads.... so here they go

Very easy.

Step 1:
Insert DVD into DVD drive.

Step 2:
Run DVD Decrypter
This app will rip any encryption from the VOB files - and in essence copy the DVD to you hard drive.

You could watch the DVD now - or burn it to a blank DVD.

Step 3:
Run DVD Shrink
This app will re-compress the entire DVD structure down to what ever size you want - great for fitting an entire dual layer 7GB DVD on a single disc - or compressing a regular 4GB DVD down to half size.

Step 4:
Run VOBEdit
This app will let you Demux the entire VOB Title set into its component MPEG 2Video and AC3 Audio streams.

Step 5:
Do what ever you want with the video and audio stream.
Convert them to MPeg Audio, recompress the video into a lower resolution - run the video stream though a DIVX encoder etc.

Step 6:
Run TMPGenc
This app will let you remux the video and audio stream back into a single file.

Step 7:
Enjoy your new found digital video manipulation skillz....

p.s. - before you ask "Where do I get these apps..." - just use google and search for them yourself...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #8
nchs09

thanks guys
Old 02-17-2004, 03:57 AM   #9
antonioledesma
Regular User

Now, if any of you guys can help me with a little problem
my laptop computer (toshiba sattellite) has the same problems or factory settings as all ppl I know that have a dvd-rom.
I use windows mediaplayer (new version) and intervideo dvd 4, and both programs have a limited dvd-zone changes. So, now I still have 1 more zone change for each program.
Imagine to be stuck with that, maybe for many of you that doesn't means a problem, but I live in Mexico and good movies in dvd format come from USA and Mexico and have different zones (1 and 4). I have around 30 dvd zone 1, and 40 zone 4

If any of you knows a good crack, dvd program, etc. that allows me to freely see my dvd's, I'll thank you a lot.
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:16 AM   #10
nchs09

sure, lets make this a sticky!!!!!! and have all our problems solved here