Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
fordgt84
Regular User

Default Mosley is gonna walk

Today the world's governing motorsport bodies have met to vote on the future of FIA President Max Mosley following the Nazi orgy scandal, and we can now reveal that the resilient Max has won the vote.

140 motoring organisations from 96 countries convened in Paris today and the secret ballot went in favour of Mosley by 103 to 55 with seven abstentions and four invalid votes. The delegate from each body was called individually to a put their sealed envelope containing their vote in the ballot box which was then counted by FIA's legal department privately.

Reactions are sure to come in from all directions over the next few days but ADAC has quickly responding to the vote by saying it views the vote “ with regret and incredulity”.
The scandal first broke back in March when a British Newspaper uncovered footage showing Max Mosley participating in a Nazi style orgy, an allegation he has consistently denied saying their was no racist activities involved.
from: http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080603....at-fia-meeting

damn money really does rule the world
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Carbodiox
Regular User

I am happy cos that's gonna prevent Bernie from takin absolute control over F1 ( broadcast rights, tracks, ads and whole organisation) And pluralism of athorities is always a good thing . That is what was it all about
Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
graywolf624
Regular User

damn money really does rule the world
While Im not a Mosley fan, I have to disagree with your setiment. What in the entire incident showed it was nazi.. It could be just about any prison scene in the world. Sick.. yes.. But for those of you always arguing about privacy your showing a really poor double standard if you think the mans twisted private tastes should effect his job.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
fordgt84
Regular User

update: http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080603....fallout-begins

Max Mosley’s steadfast insistence on staying on as President of the FIA may cause a split in the organisation. Following Mosley’s win at the FIA’s headquarters in Paris, at least two major affiliated members have pointed towards what could end up as an empty FIA. The 50 million-member-strong American Automobile Association’s President Robert Darbelnet told the BBC right after the meeting: “We should not rush to judgement on this. But one of the potential ramifications is the division or a split way from the organisation that might in fact provide an opportunity for like-minded clubs to find a representative body in a different form.”

Worse to come was from the ADAC, Germany’s ruling motoring organisation, which has now announced it is cutting all ties with the FIA “as long as Max Mosley holds the top FIA office of president”. The ADAC, Europe’s claimed largest FIA member, will no longer be part of the FIA following this decision.

"We view with regret and incredulity the FIA general assembly's decision in Paris, confirming Max Mosley in office as FIA president," said a spokesman.
"This is a reason for Europe's largest automobile club to let its functions and co-operation in FIA working groups rest at world level.”
Britain’s [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Motor [COLOR=blue! important]Sports[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Association reckons this is water under the bridge now, no point in crying over spilled milk. “The Motor Sports Association respects the decision of the FIA General Assembly concerning President Mosley and considers that it is now time to move on and for the sport to pull together,” the statement from MSA read. “The Motor Sports Association looks forward to continuing to work constructively as an important member of the FIA in the future.”

The fallout will be felt in the next few days, especially as Canada comes up on the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Formula [COLOR=blue! important]One [/COLOR][COLOR=blue! important]calendar[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. It is understood that the one-club-one-vote policy was the reason some of the biggest voters, which were said to be in favour of Mosley stepping down, were outvoted. Mosley apparently lobbied the smaller members whose votes weigh the same as the rest, into keeping him in office.

A few interested parties have thrown in words of their own:

“We (British Racing Drivers' Club) really need an organisation like the FIA to help us protect our position so that we can have reasonable terms from the commercial rights holders. It's very difficult, when you have a president who is as controversial as Max is, to argue the case for funding for [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Formula [COLOR=blue! important]One[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] from the government if we need to.” – Damon Hill, President BRDC.

“…today’s vote of confidence in Mr Mosley does not support the values held by many autoclubs worldwide. The AA accordingly distances itself from the outcome of the vote.” – Rob Handfield-Jones, AA South Africa.

“This is a sad day for motorsport because this is the beginning of the end of the FIA. The damage done is irreparable and we will now see the demise of the FIA.” – Paul Stoddard, former Minardi boss.

“I am not quite surprised but I am not happy. I voted against.” Guido [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Van[/COLOR][/COLOR] Woerkom, Royal Dutch Touring Club.

“There were many people who didn't want to speak to him before. I can't think they will want to speak to him now as a result of what has happened. Nothing has changed in that respect. Just because he gets a few clubs from Africa voting for him will not make the King of Spain want to shake his hand." – [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Bernie [COLOR=blue! important]Ecclestone[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].
Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
fordgt84
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
While Im not a Mosley fan, I have to disagree with your setiment. What in the entire incident showed it was nazi.. It could be just about any prison scene in the world. Sick.. yes.. But for those of you always arguing about privacy your showing a really poor double standard if you think the mans twisted private tastes should effect his job.
i wouldn't call it a double standard, i would just say the difference is he doesn't know where to draw the line... i mean who cares if he's a sadomasochist (let those hos beat him up senseless if that's what he likes), or if he was unfaithful to his wife, men do it all the time, and men in power are especially prone to doing so... it's just that the nazi role playing showed he couldn't care less about what happened to the jews during the nazi regime, and despite happening very long ago he has to realize that it's a terribly sensitive issue... that's why the german motor sports body has ended its relation with the fia, they cannot be associated with someone that doesn't care about what happened... it just wont pass in germany
Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
F250
Regular User

Originally Posted by fordgt84 View Post
i wouldn't call it a double standard, i would just say the difference is he doesn't know where to draw the line... i mean who cares if he's a sadomasochist (let those hos beat him up senseless if that's what he likes), or if he was unfaithful to his wife, men do it all the time, and men in power are especially prone to doing so... it's just that the nazi role playing showed he couldn't care less about what happened to the jews during the nazi regime, and despite happening very long ago he has to realize that it's a terribly sensitive issue... that's why the german motor sports body has ended its relation with the fia, they cannot be associated with someone that doesn't care about what happened... it just wont pass in germany
Let's not forget Mosley's family. His parents were infamous Nazi supporters who were married at Joseph Goebbel's home with Adolph Hilter attending. Max was brought up in a Nazi-loving household by Nazi-loving parents. I strongly suspect his attitude towards Jews is more than "not caring".

As far as your assertion of Nazi tainted actions not passing in Germany, don't be so sure. I've actually stood next to men singing the Horst Wessel song in a bar in Munich a few years ago. Shouts of "Sig heil!" followed and were met with applause from patrons. Wanna bet those guys had SS tattoos under their arms? I saw the same thing in Vienna back when that country's president was a former S.S. officer.

(An FIA) spokesman added that Mr Mosley was not planning to make an appearance in public until the German Grand Prix in July or the Hungarian Grand Prix in early August.

Looks like Max's coming out party will be in Germany. How touching and appropriate.

One last point. 60-70 years ago isn't a long time. I should know. My mother was a Catholic survivor of Auschwitz.

Last edited by F250; 06-05-2008 at 02:11 AM.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
graywolf624
Regular User

... it's just that the nazi role playing showed he couldn't care less about what happened to the jews during the nazi regime, and despite happening very long ago he has to realize that it's a terribly sensitive issue
Again, what in the act made it nazi role playing and not prison role playing. Thats the problem. Your making an assumption.
Even then its not like he blabbed what he was doing. How does being sensitive to something matter when your doing something in private. Does this mean you can never do something that could offend someone even in private. Where do you draw that line? Where is the line between speach on your own time and on company time? Or as some cases in recent memory dictate, is there not one.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

I think we should just respect the individual decisions that were made in favour of Mosley. Yes, he did something silly, and perhaps immoral, but that obviously does not affect his ability to govern the FIA. Bill Clinton was unethical when he had his affair with Monica Lewinsky, but that didn't make him unfit to govern the US. Perhaps his other unethical behaviour did, but not the affair.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
I think we should just respect the individual decisions that were made in favour of Mosley. Yes, he did something silly, and perhaps immoral, but that obviously does not affect his ability to govern the FIA. Bill Clinton was unethical when he had his affair with Monica Lewinsky, but that didn't make him unfit to govern the US. Perhaps his other unethical behaviour did, but not the affair.
So the next time any race team breaks the rules of any race serioes they should simply be forgiven - right?

I mean, what does morality or honesty or working within the rules have to do with anyones ability to either manage their race team, prepare a car or win a race?

This 2 faced approach to morality and honesty is a crock of shit at best.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
Mattk
Regular User

^It is a crock of shit, but it's the truth. It's the way the world seems to work.

Mosley didn't break any laws or regulations. I personally think he's a crap administrator with an unfortunate poor image, but it seems 105 motorsports organisations disagree with me. They've made their judgment and that's what counts.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
F250
Regular User

Again, what in the act made it nazi role playing and not prison role playing. Thats the problem. Your making an assumption.
Gee. You didn't watch the video, did you?
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #12
simona
Regular User

If you dont like their decision, boycott them. If enough people do that, they will make changes to please their fans
simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #13
fordgt84
Regular User

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
As far as your assertion of Nazi tainted actions not passing in Germany, don't be so sure. I've actually stood next to men singing the Horst Wessel song in a bar in Munich a few years ago. Shouts of "Sig heil!" followed and were met with applause from patrons. Wanna bet those guys had SS tattoos under their arms? I saw the same thing in Vienna back when that country's president was a former S.S. officer.
really? that's crazy, but no doubt those guys were extremists
Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #14
fordgt84
Regular User

Even then its not like he blabbed what he was doing. How does being sensitive to something matter when your doing something in private. Does this mean you can never do something that could offend someone even in private. Where do you draw that line? Where is the line between speach on your own time and on company time? Or as some cases in recent memory dictate, is there not one.
it's been in the news ever since this thing surfaced, i'm not assuming anything...but if you want to read it as just prison role playing, fine.

i do agree that one's private life should be just that, private... but the fact is we already know how sick this guy is, and the fact that ppl turn their backs on it because they've got interests is just crazy
Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Mattk
Regular User

^Why is it crazy to act in your own interests? You're saying that motorsports organisations should vote Mosley out even if that harms themselves. You'd be pretty silly to do that.