Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 09-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default GM goons seeking to hang spy photographer

the GM Goons are at it once again... are they knocking at your door again, RC (J/K... why would you want images of SUV's?)
http://www.autofieldguide.com/dp/aut...er.cfm?id=1051
The Spy GM Wants to Catch
The GMIA (General Motors Intelligence Agency) is on the hunt for a renegade spy who took photos of its upcoming line of full-size SUVs and distributed them on the Internet (Gasp!). It appears the photos were taken while the new SUVs were being photographed for sales and marketing or publicity purposes.

The photos clearly show the front-end of the Chevrolet variants, along with glimpses of the next generation Cadillac Escalade, which are slated to go into production in December. Seems strange GM plans to hunt down the culprit, when these same vehicles were driving around the automaker’s proving ground in Milford, MI, the same day journalists were invited out for a media event and were told they were free to take photographs. Strangely, the engineer driving the camouflaged SUV was all smiles as the scribes clicked away with their cameras.
ive taken pictures myself of several of the boaring SUV's... they just arent interesting; so i didnt post to much about them, funny that this is happing once again
Old 09-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
bmagni
Regular User

they must be the same that were after RC45
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
TransAm
Regular User

I'd like to know what the goons can do exactly? It's hardly a national security issue taking pictures of consumer products that were publicly on display. I don't think they have much of a case but, as usual, I am getting into the realms of things I know little about

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
coloradosilver
Regular User

I don't think this is quite as accurate as it may seem. I watched a special the other night on TV about the making of the C6 Corvette and part of it was a segment about a man that takes these "spy shots" for a living. When they interviewed Dave Hill (chief designer of the new Corvette), he said that it's like a friendly competition. That it was GM's job to be sneeky enough not to get the car photographed. However, if spy shots were taken, than the spy had just played the game a little better.

There was no anger or any sign of GM being upset about it.

So I don't know why it would be such a big deal now to GM.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
I don't think this is quite as accurate as it may seem. I watched a special the other night on TV about the making of the C6 Corvette and part of it was a segment about a man that takes these "spy shots" for a living. When they interviewed Dave Hill (chief designer of the new Corvette), he said that it's like a friendly competition. That it was GM's job to be sneeky enough not to get the car photographed. However, if spy shots were taken, than the spy had just played the game a little better.

i think the problem isnt taking spy shots when the car is covered but for what i understand this time the trucks werent covered, they were in a photoshoot for publicity, and now everyone knows how theyre gonna look for sure
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
Originally Posted by coloradosilver

i think the problem isnt taking spy shots when the car is covered but for what i understand this time the trucks werent covered, they were in a photoshoot for publicity, and now everyone knows how theyre gonna look for sure
I guess I can see how that would make a little difference, but still, the concept is still the same about being better at "the game".

Plus, if it was a publicity photoshoot, then it couldn't be long anyway until GM unveiled the trucks on their own. I think that, if this story is true, that GM thinks it's product to be a lot more special than it really is.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

Plus, if it was a publicity photoshoot, then it couldn't be long anyway until GM unveiled the trucks on their own. I think that, if this story is true, that GM thinks it's product to be a lot more special than it really is.
nail on the head. really, they arent much to look at... just bigger, and a slightly revised shape... not as noticable as the recent drend in Dodge vehicles by any means.

what can thier goons do, well im pretty sure if he didnt sign any papers of non-disclosure.... then nothing except make a name for themselves being related someway to GM. good marketing :roll:
Old 09-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

GM would probably be doing a lot better (and have better build quality) if they would stop wasting time and money on their own "Intelligence Agency"... what crap.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

I hope they come trespassing to my front door again... this time I will either beat the living crap out of those 2 bit cowards with a baseball bat - or just blow their brains out with a 357 to the forhead.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 PM   #10
blinkmeat
Regular User

I don't know why they care so much? - it's not like publicity is a bad thing
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I hope they come trespassing to my front door again... this time I will either beat the living crap out of those 2 bit cowards with a baseball bat - or just blow their brains out with a 357 to the forhead.
so i takeit you and mr sparky are attatched at the hip now?

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:36 PM   #12
number77
Regular User

Is this news? I wonder why they are just now reporting it? This stuff happened months ago.

BYW, what ended up happening RC45?
number77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by number77
Is this news? I wonder why they are just now reporting it? This stuff happened months ago.

BYW, what ended up happening RC45?
A couple folks I know worked the story into an Autoweek C6 Z06 and the Wall Street Journal C6 Z06 articles - and since I couldn't get an answer from GM one way or the other, GM seemed to make an official unofficial off the record on the record comment something along the lines of "we will not pursue the matter further".

It helps to know people in high places...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote