Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Bernardo
Regular User

Default Spy shots: Next-gen Jaguar XJ

Jaguar is well underway in the development of its next-generation XJ saloon, which despite still being in test-mule form is less than 18 months away from launch. The boss of Jaguar and Land Rover in Australia recently confirmed the car will be launched within the next 12 to 18 months and that it would be positioned more upmarket than the current model. These latest spy shots, while revealing little about the car's final shape thanks to the heavy camouflage, do indicate that design will be significantly different from the current car's.

The shift up-market fits in with Jaguar’s strategy to sell fewer cars but at higher profits, first revealed by its CEO David Smith back in July. Now, the Aussie chief David Blackhall has revealed that Jaguar is looking to compete more with Bentley rather than its usual German competitors such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz. In order to do so, the XJ will need a new look to accompany it's new status.

Speaking with GoAuto, Blackhall said “we talk about Jaguar as premium niche. The way I explain this to people is, closer to Bentley than BMW. That’s the territory we’ve got to keep heading towards in my opinion.”

Blackhall also reaffirmed that designers were focusing on alleviating many of the current car’s criticisms – namely the outdated styling and lack of engine options. One insider who had seen concept sketches for the car described it as looking like the C-XF’s features had been draped over an Aston Martin Rapide.

“I think everyone concedes the styling of the current model could have been different. It’s dynamically one of the best cars you ever could drive but the current XJ always for me personally was looking in the rear-view mirror far too much,” Blackhall said. “I think the new car will be true to the Jaguar tradition. This car will be a forward-looking car. No question.”

Part of the reason for the new model’s relatively fast development is that the modern aluminum chassis from the current model will carry over as well as the standard six-speed automatic transmission. For an evaluation of the current car's brilliant handling and powertrain, read our review here.

Previous test-mules, residing under modified sheet metal of the current model, revealed that a wider track, dual tip exhaust system, and aggressive front end will appear on the new model. Other design elements are said to include a sloping windscreen that extends into the roof and a large square grille. The new spy shots reveal that the headlights will likely share some XF traits as well, though the rear could get fully-modern LED units of a unique design, possibly sharing hints of the Bentley Continental GT.

High-tech features inside are said to include pressure sensing buttons, combined with backlit glass panels and the retracting transmission selector knob used in the XF.

Expect to see a 5.0L supercharged V8 engine in the range topping model as well as a mid-level 4.2L V8 and entry-level V6 also appear. A turbodiesel option will remain and there’s even the possibility that Jaguar could use the new XJ to debut its new hybrid technology currently being developed together with the UK government.

Before the arrival of the new XJ, we’re likely to see the unveiling of a new concept called the C-XJ. In September, Jaguar registered several new trademarks with the UK Intellectual Property Office, one of which was ‘C-XJ’.
"One insider who had seen concept sketches for the car described it as looking like the C-XF’s features had been draped over an Aston Martin Rapide."

- This says It all. Thats why the XF only reminds the C-XF concept in overall form and not exactly the concept itself, because that what the new XJ will be..apart from the tailights the car seems to be pretty much identical to the concept - i know its too soon to tell - the overall shape, the headlights, the side profile its much more 4-door-coupe like...I think the new XJ will look pretty close to the C-XF concept, and thats awesome IMHO. I was mad with jag for not making one of the most beautiful concepts I've ever seen not come into production, but at the end it all makes sense..The XF looks just perfect for whats it is supposed to do - fight the 5-series, e-class etc - and I didn't realised that becase I was so mad.
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Should look good with a Toyota badge on it
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
silentm
Regular User

funny how all the CG models have no door handles O.o
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
funny how all the CG models have no door handles O.o
Not CG. Real concept car. The name C-XF ring any bell?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Mattk
Regular User

That just looks like the XF all over again. The XJ has always been about old-world style to me. I think the current design is quaint in a highly-desirable way.