Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default High performance cars crash less says study.

Street smarts: high-powered cars less likely to crash, insurer finds
MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio (AP) - Bigger engines mean faster cars and more accidents, right?
That intuitive logic is faulty, according to an analysis of more than 12 million passenger cars insured by Progressive, the third-largest auto insurer in the United States.

It found cars with more than 200 horsepower actually generate 17 per cent fewer claims than those propelled by less than 200 horsepower.

However, when the more powerful vehicles are involved in accidents, the dollar value of claims averages 22 per cent higher.

Progressive said the effect is consistent: the more powerful a car model, the fewer but more costly its claims.

The insurer's news release made no mention of factors that might skew the statistical correlation, such as the tendency of high-powered cars to be newer, more expensive and driven by more affluent owners.

Progressive noted that the horsepower race continues to heat up. It says only nine per cent of all available makes and models of passenger cars in 1990 boasted more than 200 horsepower; that now has been torqued up to 54 per cent.
http://www.mytelus.com/news/article....icleID=1902044

Interesting, all I can say on the matter.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

all they want is to justify fucking everyone harder and deeper :fist:

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
mindgam3
Regular User

Well generally, higher powered cars handle better, have more safety features, stop quicker and are more expensive so tend to be driven by older and therefore more experienced drivers.

Not suprised by the findings at all, but i think its more to do with the rest of the car rather than the engine although there are times when you need to accelerate hard to avoid accidents in which case - higher powered cars are better off again
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Sir_GT
Regular User

So why doesn't our beloved insurance companies raise the penalty threshold?

Cheapest I got for a supercharged 1.6 was £3000... three grand? C'mon...
Old 04-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

The 760Li we repaired a few weeks ago (see the dashless 760 pics in the BMW Ultimate Pics thread) did 40,000 in damagewhen it rearended something and there wasn't a whole lot it did that wasn't standard fenderbender stuff. All the labor it took, radiator, condensor, core support, ACC radar (that was NOT cheap) etc.

later we took down a notorious straight stretch of road and in no time found 140MPH

Old 04-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
gobs3z
Regular User

Well it means i should just keep modding the ride. I'm only paying $800 every six months, you must have one hell of a record Sir-gt.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
pimrusis
Regular User

Do you guys think that the number of 200+ horsepower cars is equal to the 200- horsepower cars?
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

not a chance. there are too many civics out there

Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #9
coloradosilver
Regular User

Not all of these are cars people!

Over 50% of the vehicles sold today are trucks of one sort or another (Pickups, SUVs, etc..)

Almost all of these come standard with at least 200 hp or more. So they're saying that any car with over 200hp is a "high powered car"??? This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard!! A huge number of cars with over 200 hp are sedans, trucks, SUVs, and all weigh as much as a tank. Just because they have over 200 hp doesn't make a vehicle fast by any means.

Another reason you done see so many supercar crashes is not because they're less of them (although this is true), but because the people who own them don't drive them everyday. They're typically not daily drivers, thus, the odds of them being involved in an accident are lessened that much more just because they're not on the road as often.

I hate car insurance companies so much. In the USA it's illegal to drive without insurance. This creates a situation where insurance agencies acn raise their prices as high as they like and people have no chice but to pay these retardedly high prices. Car insurance agencies are one of the most underhanded, sleeziest, rape you in the ass businesses there is.

Then again, if you get into an accident and kill someone, you'll be damn glad you have it. For the other 99.9% of drivers though, it's just an ass fuck without the lube.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:44 PM   #10
ZfrkS62
Regular User

For the other 99.9% of drivers though, it's just an ass fuck without the lube.
See my statement above

Old 04-18-2005, 11:51 PM   #11
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
For the other 99.9% of drivers though, it's just an ass fuck without the lube.
See my statement above
Sorry man, didn't see that...Funny though, most people feel the same about car insurance!

coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #12
crayzayjay
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Cheapest I got for a supercharged 1.6 was £3000... three grand? C'mon...
Cooper S?

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote