Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
gangajas
Regular User

Default Autocar: Fastest Group Test In History

The title is a little bit pompous, but it's quite an interesting read:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto.../37988/?page=1

In my opinion the most interesting part is this:

Originally Posted by Autocar
As it happens, I was in the GT3 RS and not the R8 when, finally, the Veyron appeared in the mirror. The deal had been that the Bugatti would leave the lot 20sec after I set off. Then we’d see how long it would take it to catch me and, when he did so, whether it would be possible for him to get past.

On the way down the mountain, the GT3 RS completely blew me away. I expected it to have explosive throttle response, fabulous steering, mighty brakes and fantastic body control. And it did, just like the regular GT3 I drove a couple of months back.

But I also expected it to ride like a rollerskate and be generally pretty evil to drive unless I was at 10/10ths, but no. The RS felt damn near as smooth and refined over the ground as the R8, only the 911 had a much bigger punch down the straights and a lot more bite at its front end. “Perhaps he won’t be able to catch me at all,” I started to think.

And then it appeared, hovering like a missile behind me, its xenon headlights burning two big holes in the back of my head. As the road got tighter and twistier I became aware that I was driving the GT3 RS about as hard as I’m prepared to drive a car on the public road, yet the Veyron would not go away.

It just sat there, watching me. Waiting. Then a shortish straight appeared, I caned the 911 as frantically as I could in third gear and, whoosh, the Bugatti just blew by me and the GT3 RS like we were standing still.
I will never, ever forget what that looked and sounded and felt like. It’s some car, the Veyron, it truly is.
And this was some group test. Cue credits, roll the soundtrack.

gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
MIHALS
Regular User

can't imagine GT3 RS storming on the road on 3rd, me behind the wheel thinking I'm the fastest man on the earth and then WHOOOOSHHHH some blue line passed me like I was reversing on the highway :shock:
Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

Thanks for the scan!

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
yg60m
Regular User

A great article and this week magazine came with the DVD I will rip and encode it if nobody else do it.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Svensson
Regular User

Thanks! Looks very interesting, will read it now.

Here's a video AutoCar made on this feature:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=225994&CT=V
Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
silentm
Regular User

wow i like that video. nice comparison. a lot of praise, and the most important point: it's not a shame to own either of those cars
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

Wow! Good review. I wish Autocar started broadcasting on TV. Much better than Fifth Gear crap (expect good old Tiff).

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
ARMAN
Regular User

holy FUCK that Lambo is insanely loud!!! :shock: Thanx for scan and video linky

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson
Here's a video AutoCar made on this feature:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=225994&CT=V
C. Harris explains clearly why the Veyron it's so great.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

How come everytime the Veyron is compared to cars with 600bhp LESS no mention is made of this fact?

Of course the car will blast pass anything on the road.. it has 1000bhp and is AWD with electronic controls for everything...

Considering all of the above - if you are on a public twisty roadway then why wouldn't a 1000bhp AWD real in a 991GT3RS and pass it like it was standing still?

Load that GT3RS or the Gallardo up with 1000bhp and do the comparison again.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

My friend is getting a Veyron very soon... but his S7 TT is faster from 80-230...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #12
wasaabi92
Regular User

That Gallardo sounds like a Group B rally car... I LOVE IT!

I'll have one of each ... except turn that DB9 into a V8 Vantage. Thanks.
wasaabi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
Originally Posted by RC45
How come everytime the Veyron is compared to cars with 600bhp LESS no mention is made of this fact?

Of course the car will blast pass anything on the road.. it has 1000bhp and is AWD with electronic controls for everything...

Considering all of the above - if you are on a public twisty roadway then why wouldn't a 1000bhp AWD real in a 991GT3RS and pass it like it was standing still?

and your point is????

the point is there is NOTHING on the road to knock a Veyron off....nothing even comes close.

as mentioned, this car out accelerates ANY car on the Le Mans starting grid, and knocks off F1 cars after 175 or 180mph......that is just mindblowing for a road car.
Uhm - again - what is the point?

It has 1000bhp - of fucking course it will out accelerate a 400bhp 911.

The comparison is stupid in and of itself.. its like saying "Gee.. this Hayabusa out runs a Ford Fiesta.. but they both have 150bhp" - considering one weighs 400lb and the other 2400lbs is OBVIOUS.

It is also not that impressive for 1000bhp and AWD. Rather, it is EXPECTED.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Pokiou
Regular User

get a motorbike.. Faster then them all. 0-100.. 0-200. 0.300.. and if your balls enough and with a good earing maybe 0-407kmph see cagers are good.. but just don't. thrill as much as a bike does... must be the power ranger thingy.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
Originally Posted by everso

and your point is????

the point is there is NOTHING on the road to knock a Veyron off....nothing even comes close.

as mentioned, this car out accelerates ANY car on the Le Mans starting grid, and knocks off F1 cars after 175 or 180mph......that is just mindblowing for a road car.
Uhm - again - what is the point?

It has 1000bhp - of fucking course it will out accelerate a 400bhp 911.

The comparison is stupid in and of itself.. its like saying "Gee.. this Hayabusa out runs a Ford Fiesta.. but they both have 150bhp" - considering one weighs 400lb and the other 2400lbs is OBVIOUS.

It is also not that impressive for 1000bhp and AWD. Rather, it is EXPECTED.
Well what else do you want to compare it too? There's not much out there...stock at least.

You don't always have to piss about it. I'd understand if it didn't "out-blast" everything and you'd be all "uuh 100bhp and look...".
the other supercars... the SLR 722, thats new... the Koenigsegg CCX... the Gembella CGT... the Saleen S7 TT.... its not like there aren't cars that are more appropriate to choose from.