View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
Not sure I under stand who you mean by 'Fiat's Chrysler contingent' are these the people at Chrysler who want FIAT to take over?

FIAT's range is very new, it even supplies engines to GM and shares platforms, which were developed by FIAT with GM and Ford.
Fiat's range is aging fast too. The 500/Fiesta flatform that you refer to is based on the Panda platform, which has been service since 2003 and Fiat's other major platform has been used since 2001. And they won't go away for a while, which isn't that surprising or bad, but I wouldn't call them "very new".

Fiat doesn't "supply" GM with engines and platforms. They "co-own" the technology. It doesn't mean Fiat makes engine for GM, nor did that stop GM from developing more advanced powertrain for Opel/Vauxhall. The same thing with the platform design. Of course, it works the other way around too. The Alfa 159 runs a GM V6 with some modifications.

Frankly Fiat Chrysler merger kills development of new platforms for either company. They don't have enough money going around both of them. I think it's all but secret that they pretty much agreed that they are only going to build new models off current platforms. Meaning, yes. They will be outdated pretty quickly.