View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #26
ZfrkS62
Regular User

well, it appears i wrote my little 1 year later review a bit too early. As the updated title suggests, my head gasket went on vacation. permanently. Came off the freeway and as i rolled up to the stop sign last night, the engine started sputtering and stumbling. Once i saw steam coming out from under the hood, i knew i was fucked.

i had been losing coolant the last few weeks but i wasn't sure where. i figured the water was just evaporating on it's way into the coolant overflow tank, but it was happening way too often. I had a sneaking suspicion it was sneaking into a cylinder since my oil level was dropping too and there wasn't any chocolate milk in the radiator.

As i popped the hood, i saw the overflow tank cap had popped off and was spilling coolant everywhere, the hoses and radiator cap were warm but too cool to be at operating temp, so i slowly cracked the cap. the remaining pressure released and to my dismay, the radiator was empty. I put the cap back on and limped the car home. At this point i was 99.9% sure my head gasket was gone. As it idled in my driveway, (if that's what you want to call it) i noticed the steam starting to pour out my tail pipe. now i was 99.95% sure, but once i smelled the sickeningly sweet smell of ethalyne glycol (antifreeze/coolant) that .05% doubt i had, disappeared.

I ordered a used engine today from a local toyota recycler for $350. and timing belt, tensioner, valve cover gasket and clutch from a local aftermarket warehouse for another $140. The engine is being delivered thursday and friday i'm doing the swap.

Now i can hear at least one of you asking why i don't just replace the head gasket.

Because i'm thorough about this shit I plan on replacing the head gasket on the original motor, but when i pull the head, i'm sending it out to the machine shop to have the valve guides and seals replaced, providing the head isn't toast. From there, i reseal the bottom end, put it all back together, and put it back in the car. What i do with my spare motor, i dunno yet. At the very least i seal that one up too, and sell it for the $500 it cost me. Mods? i dunno. that could get pricey and i'm not in the position right now to blow wads of cash on making a 12,000 RPM motor. Or an insane Forced Induction motor. The last thing i need to do is become another ricer :roll: But on the other hand....who would see a Corolla coming?

Besides, given the success of the Toyota race teams....i think hi performance may not be the way to go

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote