View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by tforth
Interesting, as evo stated (when describing the Z06) in their December 2007 Car of the Year issue, where the outcome was 1st 599 GTB, 2nd 997GT3, 3rd LP 640 and 4th Z06:

"If it were built by Porsche it would wear an RS badge and command twice the asking price"
Well - look at what they compare it to.

But they are speaking absolute tripe.

The C6 Z06 is not even close to the razors edge a GT3 is.... it is a great all rounder with space and comfort to spare - which makes it a fantastic daily driver considering the great gas milage it gets.

I would agree that this statement is a bit of stretch, especially considering the rubber, but clearly people that have driven it don't consider it to be quite the daily 'beater' that you make it seem, unlike the GT3 which at least has PASM (on the 997) and sat nav. Most of the American magazines which have compared it against it's peers have also stated that it is a pretty focused device and tricky at the limit, as has Jeremy Clarkson, for whatever that's worth.
This statement is so full of carp it is hard to not vomit on the spot.

Are you suggesting the Z06 has no stability management or SAT NAv?

And exactly what cars has the Z06 been compared to? I am imagining each of those is quite focused as well.

There is no coparison - the Veyron cannot be operate dby a human without all the aids turned on..
You're missing the point; it's a GT - that's they way it will be driven by the people who can actually afford it.
In other words the 1000hp is pointless without the elctronic aids and the car is no where the "sports' car every one makes it out to be... uhm - thats exactly what we say about it.

Wow, I guess this is a good example of perspective, and how you seem to lack it. I am educated in the area of science which helps me understand why cars do what they do. I also drive very enthusiastically when ever the opportunity arises, including on real tracks. I have met many people at track events or otherwise, who think that they know a lot about cars, but can't tell you what the difference is between under and oversteer (and some of them weren't even that slow on track).

Realistically, very few people are afforded the opportunity to drive as many different high performance cars, in anger/on track, etc. as some of the magazine writers can. What they state is up for public scrutiny by a very wide audience, it is not hearsay. That's why some of them develope a corresponding good/bad reputation, like Auto Zeitung. Can you even read German, or did you just rely on what this guy wrote anyway?
So you basically take magazine hearsay as gospel.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote