View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 05:01 AM   #166
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I've finally gotten around to updating the list on page 1 with the changes for 2007. The section below is posted at the very bottom of the first post as well, but for you lazy people, here it is anyway:

With the 2007 MY, there has been a change in the engine designation. It finally makes sense!!

Keeping with the same format as before (N52B30) there has been some clarification and revision for what comes next. The TU designations have been dropped, and you may notice that the new suffix o1 or u1..pay attention now as it will all be explained

the first change comes in the numbered designation. The first number is the Engine Type. 4= 4cyl, 5= 6cyl, 6= 8 cyl, 7= 12cyl and 8= 10 cyl.
the second number is the engine system: 0= baisic engine; 1= SULEV/PZEV; 2= Valvetronic; 3= Gas w/ Direct Injection; 4=Gas w/DI + Turbo; 5= Dual Vanos + Valvetronic; 7= Diesel injection + Turbo

the Letter in the middle is still fuel type but there are some new additions to the possibilites here. Along with B and D, we now have E= Electric, G= Natural Gas and H= Hydrogen

next numbers are engine displacement in tenths of a liter (no change here)

and next is the engine's output rating: T= Top rating, O= High Output, M= Medium Output, U= Low output, K=Lowest output and 0= New Development

the final number is the version of the engine, numbered 1-9.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

You may notice in that list that there is a new engine listed, designated the N51. This is the SULEV replacement for the M56 motor. It is available in certain 328i's in AUTOMATIC trans only. I am not sure as to the complete designation because none of the literature mentions it.

All facelifts are now referred to as LCI, or Life Cycle Impulse. Why this is i have no idea. Personally, i think someone people in marketing were drinking at lunch and in a drunken stupor (since just about EVERYTHING is a good idea when you're drunk) decided to name the facelift LCI :roll:

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote