View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 AM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Ok, i got a chance to flip through the training book on the new engine technology class and scoped out the N52B30 that will be in the E90 330i, and all i can say is WOW :shock: Here's what i can remember:
  • Magnesium block and aluminum bolts shave 22lbs off the engine[/list[listValvetronic control is now integrated into the DME instead of having a seperate control unit as on the N62 and N73
  • The operation of the Valvetronic system has been simplified for the N52
  • Torque curve is nearly flat with peak torque coming in at 2500 RPM and holding until 4500 RPM, the HP curve is a steady shot straight upwards with peak HP coming in at 6800 RPM Redline is 7500
  • a new electric water pump is being used instead of the mechanical pump to reduce drag on the engine on deceleration
  • The oil pump is now a vane style, variable output pump designed to supply only the needed oil pressure to the engine at any given time. It's design is similar to that of a power steering pump
  • Aluminum bolts are marked and must be replaced if removed, bolts also must be torqued in a 2 step operation
  • As with the other two New Generation engines, the throttle body is used only for emergency fail safe modes, startup, and to produce the 30millibar of vacuum required to operate the fuel tank venting system. Vacuum for the brake booster is produced by a mechanically driven vacuum pump.

4-6: New cool stuff i read today:

The cylinder head and oil pan are seperated from the block by non conductive gaskets that protrude from engine to prevent dirt and water from bridging the magnesium block and aluminum head/oil pan and creating a conductive path.

the lower front timing cover is molded to the block (which sucks because that eliminates the possibility for a few hours when the car goes out of warranty since there will never be an oil leak from there :x ) and the timing chain assembley (cam sprockets chain and crank sprocket) is all one peice. I didn't see a picture of it but apparently the crank sprocket isn't even keyed to the crank :shock:

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote