Thread: McLaren F1
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 02:22 AM   #42
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by nthfinity
the CGT's clutch is wholey, and completely different

and dropping from 8000 isn't the same as normal first and second gear starts (not launches)

the CGT is altogether another animal....
The CGT has a carbon-ceramic clutch vs. the carbon-carbon clutch of the F1. Both, if abused will wear down very quickly.

We started on this because:
so.... with so many modern tech out there, and so many 500 hp+++ 500 ft. lbs. torque cars out there, couldn't mighty Mclaren use a new tech that will last longer?
I'm saying that the CGT has a similar situation, of a small, low interia clutch, and it is the 'newer tech' of carbon-ceramic, but it still has basically the same properties as the F1's clutch, 10 years later. If you abuse it, it won't last.

CGT's have been known to 'eat' clutches at the hands of abusive drivers as well, does that make it "highly unimpressive" as well?

lets mention what the F1 does... it is the lightest for its time, and it accellerates the best to 60 mph for its time... i'm not so sure about 0-100mph...

its built using some uber exotic materials, and processes.

it isn't the fastest, and it isn't the best handling; or greatest feel in handing. It isn't the only 3 seat hypercar; 3 seat was an option in the Vector well before the F1 came out

It wasn't the most powerful car in its day... i'm unsure about braking... but i would think it would do well concidering its weight.... i seem to recall it having the 0-100-0 record... but how many other early 90's supercars were put through that test in similar conditions, and identical pavement?

heck, if pavement is smooth enough... the SRT-10 manages a 107 ft. braking distance from 60 mph...

was the F1 a good car? definately.

Was it the best, definately not.

why is it uber gay? Because people think its the best, when many owners think otherwise. (granted, they still like the car, and such)
Speaking of best handling, where does that Vector thing in your sig get its 1.25 lateral G number from? Is that through a high speed corner, or is that on an actual skip-pad? Or was that number achieved using slicks?

3 seat option in the Vector, any pictures? Is that like, a bench seat in the front, a la Crown Vic?

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote