Thread: BMW E36 M3
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #38
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by LotusGT1
The E36 M3 had 286 hp (eurospec) from the start and a whopping 321hp later. A mere 22hp less than the heavier E46.

LOL@the powerplant lacking. That's bullshit. Even the US-spec M3 had a 0-60 acceleration under 6 seconds. That was fucking serious performance. Faster than the RX-8 in your signature f.e.

It was BY FAR the best sports sedan/coupe to have in that class during the period it was produced. I even think the gap with competition was larger than with the E46. The M3 was judged The Best Handling Car in America by the editors of Car and Driver.
the car was brilliant, yes.

but US spec was quite different then the eurospec; which is what i am basing my argument on... something i didnt know was eurospec was up to 321 hp...
US spec never made it past 240hp (something you didn't know) in 2000, there was no M cars.

so, now that you see my argument is solid as a rock; i rest my case (when comparing only US spec cars)
But again, you are comparing the E36 to it's little brother which i don't understand. Engine technology alone is a deciding factor in the E46 since the S54 uses the AluSil alloy that was introduced in the S62 of the M5, where as the S52 of the E36 was an aluminum block.

How can you fault the E36 for that?

The US spec came from havng to meet our emissions requirements, which is also why we don't have the CSL. Once they figured out how to get around that (cold start emissions were the main problem) it was fine.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote