View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #41
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by 04RCSTI
The Front mount is necessary for high horsepower applications , as the top mount IC (stock location) is much too small to provide the necessary surface area and volume to cool the air thats getting fed into the engine. The other alternative is an air-to-water intercooler that uses water to cool the incoming air, rather than exterior air going through the fins of the FMIC. I did not install the parts myself, all the piping you see is custom bent and fabricated on the car, FOR the car. A lot of work went into it.
a very nice car... and one of just a few likely canidates as my next car

about your intake...
Originally Posted by 04RCSTI
i can definately understand why you would want an extremely short distance airbox... but that hardly seems like much of a cool spot of the engine thermodynamically speaking... close proximity to the turbine, and a low air-flow area in general.
why not use the existing hood-scoop, with some costom fittings... and have a much cooler charge on the air entering the airbox... ultimately, aiding in cooling your impellar... and perhaps extending its life... hot air+hot exhaust doesnt seem like an ideal setup to me... even if your air is cooled by the intercooler.
The truth is that although you could argue that performance is increased by having colder air being inducted, the fact of the matter is that the difference a few degrees makes in performance is almost completely negligible when you take into account the size of the IC core. The drop of temp from before the IC to the throttle body is large enough that the temperature of the air being sucked in is really not a huge factor.

Granted if I stuck the filter in my hood scoop it would probably send an extra 5hp my way, but then I'd have to worry about water from the car wash...debree...and all those other wonderful things that get sucked into the scoop...

Routing it to the Wheel well like I used to have it is really a hassle and another expense (trust me I dont need any more of those). Not to mention the extra bends in the piping only add obstructions to the airflow. Whatever HP I would gain from sucking in colder air, id loose in the piping.

Happy to answer questions..