Thread: new Mustang
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004, 05:29 PM   #13
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by number77
you are also forgetting about the rumored, 7.0L (427) z06
i have heard about a fast stang that might, MIGHT take a base vette. i give their credibility about 70%
the super camaro, that will be able to take a base vette no questions asked, is about 90% credible.
the thing is that ford performance division is trying to keep up, but we must all remember that they have to compete with all of GM in their sales, and getting $ and board votes for high end sports car development isn't were profit is made.
the rumored 427 is a fact. originally during testing earlier this year, they were dyno'd out at 480hp@ the crank. i met the engineer who designed the electronics and mechanics to push it to a whooping 507 hp @ the crank. they officially have met thier goal of 500 hp n/a. to gain the extra 37hp, they designed a special extra exhaust valve bypass system for a more free flowing exhaust, and different geometry, while maintaining fuel efficiansy to avoid the gas guzzler tax, and meeting/exceeding emmissions goals. it is a seemless transistion when the throttle is more fully depressed to actuate the exhaust valve system, and the engine note is quite different. not to mention the most excleelent handling charactaristics this car is going to maintain, or exceed. i just wonder about the cost... hopefully not returning to the ZR-1 territory...

a totally fun mustang cobra wont meet that at all... until tuned just a wee bit for just a few bucks (compared with the price of tuning this vette). chances are that the mustang cobra's torque will be greater then that of the vette z series, and hp is quite similar. i assume to be just a 1/2 second different in the 1/4 mile when its all said and done. if its any more then that, its just because of excess wheel spin on the 'slobra'
I HIGHLY doubt that Ford will build a mustang that will be able to run with the Z06. With the current models (2004) Even a bone stock Z06 will beat an SVT. (Thats exceptionally sad because the mustang even has a supercharger on it.)

And lets be honest here, How many Z06 drivers leave their cars bone stock? I'm very active in the corvette community (because I own one) and have only seen a few out of many that have been left stock.

If the new Z06 does come with a 500hp / 7.0L / 427cid engine all the owner would need to do is thow on some headers, exhaust, intake, and do some tuning and that car will be up in the 550hp range NA. For an additional $3,000, they could throw on a Head and Cam package and that car would be well on it's way to the 700hp range with a few more minor mods (All NA).

I don't even want to talk about what you can do with this engine if you threw on a Supercharger as ford has had to do.

The point is that for the Ford Mustang to catch up with the Z06 in the departments of straight line acceleration and handling(yeah right) :roll: They're going to have to do a lot more work with engine size and mechanics, weight saving techniques, and suspension work.

It just isn't going to happen any time soon. Sorry Ford guys. For the price, the Z06 is still going to be the best bang for the buck money can buy.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote