View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
79TA
Regular User

Default 84% of Camaro pre-orders so far are for the SS V8's

This has been floating around the internet, but I haven't been able to pin down a definite source. The rumor is that it's a letter from GM. Anyway, the Camaro will undoubtedly sell more in its V6 form as the pony car split is usually about 2 V6 cars for every car with a V8. Then consider how capable the new V6 Camaro is and it will surely be a winner. Nevertheless, GM didn't predict how dominant the more hardcore Camaro enthusiast response would be in the pre-orders. A full 84% of buyers opted for an SS model. Enough of my rambling, here's the small stat sheet.

To date we have accepted over 6000 sold orders, 84% of which are SS. We will not be able to build in this model mix, so make sure you are setting your customer's expectations correctly to avoid the high potential for dissatisfaction. But keep taking sold orders !!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, the allocation number we have given you is for the first 20,000 built covering production thru September. If things go right we will far surpass that number by year end.

Orders to date:

LS: 2%
1LT: 4%
2LT: 10%
1SS: 7%
2SS: 77%
What I find disturbing is how few people have chosen the 1SS trim. I'd be all for a minimalist V8 pony car, especially given that the 5th gen isn't really light (it comes with side curtain air bags and lots of other standard features that are nice, but heavy) to begin with. If I were to buy one, I'd have to see how much weight I could get out of the car.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote