Thread: BMW E63 M6
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 02:08 AM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Exterior

Well, I don't think I'll waste many words about is as it's basically a matter or love or hate. Most ppl don't have the bangle generation BMWs but honestly I never had a prob with them and IMo the 6 is such a proportioned car. In M form it's mean while at the same time someway stealthy, especially in such a color as grey. Only problem for hardcore ppl is probably that it's too similar to a 645, especially when black, but all in all, it's a nice thing to see in the morning in your garage IMO. Those 4 big exhaust pipes, that carbon roof, the big rims. It's a good design job IMO, but I know some will disagree.
Lots of good points. The current M cars are total sleepers. Unless you know what to look for, a debadged M will take you COMPLETELY by surprise. The only M i really have a gripe about is the M Roadster and Coupe. Their hips aren't wide enough whereas their predecessors had the hips of a 50's pinup girl.

Originally Posted by TT
I had time to play with the infamous I-drive system and IMO there is nothing wrong with it, but not sure if earlier versions were trickier.
the E65/6 I-drive system can get a bit hairy because all 8 positions of the compass are used instead of the 4 on the other systems. and really the only thing that makes that one a pain is when you try and slide diagonally and actually slide laterally. Once you sit down and navigate within either system, it gets pretty easy.

in regards to everything else:

Auto mode on SMG takes a lot of getting used to. In the M3 they said lifting off the throttle when it makes it's shift would mess with the system since it already anticipated and compensated for everything. But now with the Drivelogic 3, they are saying if you ease off prior to the shift, engagement of the clutch is much smoother. This system will never be the same as a true automatic though.

The handling of these cars is as predictable as you could ever hope for and in a 500hp beast like the E60/3 and 4, you wouldn't want it any other way. it's almost as if the degree of accelerator pedal is the same as the degree the rear end has stepped out. Lifting slightly brings it back in line and you're good to go again. And yes, the DSC thresholds are too high. But for inexperienced people who buy these things, it's a lifesaver.

The noise the S85 illicits is almost as pure of an aural orgasm as you can get without going to it's F1 inspiration. Especially when going into decel from 7K

I'm sure you still have a stupid grin on your face just thinking about it
Though your neck must be sore as hell fom those Program 6 upshifts

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote