View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

200 mile trips are on your agenda?

Then first be sure you are a motorcyclist at heart.

Very long distance commutes (not fun runs in the woods, but commutes with some bags/luggage/backpack) are only fun and enjoyable if you have a touring bike, or can travel with no luggage/backpack and only yout wallet.

Long distances without a fairing (and the fairing on a crothrocket is no good for super long distances) became very unenjoyable very quickly.

Long distance trips with the possibility of rain etc are messy wet cold unpleasant affairs most of the time.

Bikes can be a lot of fun, but the mystique and romance disappear very qucikly when you have to get on the bike to make a cold 200 mile trip back to uni on a Sunday afternoon/evening as the storm clouds gather on the horizon.

Been there - done that.

This is why I say make sure motorcycling is in your blood and is your thing - if this turns out ot be true, then you will have a ball, and feel sorry for all the cagers locked in their steel boxes with 4 wheels as you enjoy the freedom that is motorcycling.

Now back to your quesiton about a starter bike - there probably is not a sensible starter bike that will turn out to be a great comfy long distance tourer that you can use for you long distance commute as well.

An SV650 is probably the best starter bike - quick, great handler, cheap to run, repair and service.

Adding a fairing to the SV may help, who knows.

An excellent all rounder that is cheap and relaible and probably a good 2nd or 3rd bike would be a Yamaha FJ1100/1200.

Excellent sport tourer (more tourer than sport bike these days) but there are many great condition used ones out there. It's power, quick and low saddle hegight combine to make a great bike that is not intimidatingly fast but will eat up the miles and prove to be a very enjoyable long distance bike.

At least, if I was startign out with bikes again - that's the path I would follow..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote