View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
Maybe it's different there? I'm not an expert on these matters, it's an alarmingly different place, in terms of New York state at least, that's the only part I have ever checked out. Fairly extensively though, but maybe not reflective of America as a whole.
Detroit used to be the place to live. As times changed... buildings went vacant, skyscrapers went vacant, homes went vacant... There are still nice places in Detroit if one would like to live there. But the quantity of them have dwindled. Its amazing that you can pick up a 4000+ sq. foot home in a nice neighborhood (considering) for under 200k ... 5+ bedrooms, 4 bathrooms... My car was stolen in front of a friends 36,000 sq. foot home in Detroit in one of those nice neighborhoods. The home was built in the late 1910's by an industrial magnate. Secret passages, a carriage house, and 3/4+ acre of land beside the home. I'd not mind living there.

Upkeep is near impossible, as the City requires you pull a permit to repair anything more than a light bulb. These places are slowly rotting away, and its incredibly sad. The home sold 3 years ago for a measly 600,000$.