View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 AM   #44
frnk
Regular User

A disappointing end to a great race for alot of reasons, first of all the coverage was very lackluster, spending the last lap or so watching Hamilton drive around the track at 40 mph while Heidfeld and Alonso are overtaking 2 cars in one corner. Makes you wonder if the directors that Bernie hires actually watch or even like motorsport.

As for the contraversy, I am a Kimi (not Ferrari) fan and I was very excited for him and also for a close championship when he took the lead early on, when Hamilton made his pass into T1 I was very dubious as to whether or not he had yeilded sufficiently to balance out his cut of the bus stop. Looking back I still don't think the incident is clear cut in itself and there is very little precedent in recent seasons (the incident with Schumi above was in slightly difference circumstances ie. de la Rosa took the position eventually). I would also argue that the 6 km/h speed differential was slightly negated by the fact that Hamilton was immediately able to jump back in Raikkonen's tow and also by the fact that he interfered with Raikkonen's line into the braking zone for T1, two factors which contributed to Hamilton being able to outbrake Raikkonen and retake the lead.

The situation with Rosberg and the yellow flags is again not completely black and white, Hamilton was, by his own admission, on his way off the track already when he encountered Rosberg, Raikkonen simply threaded his way past Rosberg to take the position. I don't think this can really be considered an intentional overtaking manouver.

In the end the FIA's decision was always going to be contravertial one way or another, my only real problem with it is that they took so long to make it. As with Massa in Valencia the air of indecision around these rulings, especially when Ferrari are involved, breeds suspicion and conspiracy theories and they really need to take a look at increasing their transparency. In recent years again and again it has become a problem when the FIA adopts the position that they know better than everyone watching the race because they have access to data that none of us plebs are allowed to see. Highlighted by Max Moseley's chat with Martin Brundle on the grid of Monza in 2006 when his entire argument was based around some magic data which to this day has not seen the light of day, obviously in this situation contraversy will ensue. If the FIA is making fair and impartial decisions then they have little to fear by increasing the transparency of their investigations and publishing the data which proves their case not only to the teams but to the fans who are ultimately writing their paycheques.

Another sad day for F1 as a sport and also for the funniest guy in the paddock.

frnk is offline   Reply With Quote