View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 11:20 PM   #109
sentra_dude

Well, this is more of a general question, not just Porsche related, but there's lots of knowledge here in Porsche central, so here it goes.

I was wondering about fuel consumption in engines. Maybe kind of an odd question, here in a forum where we all enjoy burning lots of gasoline, but I am still interested in the subject. I know its pretty hard to make a generalization on something like this, I'm sure every engine is different, but maybe use the example of the standard 3.6L F6 engine in the 996. Its my understanding Porsche is at least somewhat worried about mpg, so if you drive conservatively you can obtain good mpg.

Let's say you did want to get good mpg, what would be the best way to go about this, only use very low rpms (say, below 2800rpm) and very light throttle? I have heard it is sometimes better to get right up to speed, using a little more throttle so you can quickly get to a constant rpm (where presumably fuel consumption will be less than a varying rpm). Is there a large penalty in fuel consumption for going into the power zone, like say 4500rpm and above?

I know that's a pretty complicated question(s)...so just answer whatever.

Thanks!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote