View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #14
lakatu
Regular User

Your right one of the attractive aspects of owning a 911 is the high resale value. As with any economic principle the price is determined by supply and demand. The 911 has always been in high demand and enjoyed a mystic partly because of Porsche basing so many extremely successful racing cars on the basic 911. Other factors that have affected demand include the appealing and timeless shape, performance, unique rear engine layout and air cooling along with the reputation of reliability and skill required to drive a 911 fast. It was kind of a badge of honor to drive a 911 because real car enthusiast knew it required skill to drive fast.

I personally think the historically high resale value may be somewhat different in the future. The reason why I feel that is due to the shorter life cycles of the various 911 model. For example, a 1978 911 SC looks almost identical to a 11 year older 1989 Carrera. At the time this kept demand high for the older 911s because well if it was clean people couldn’t tell it was an older car. Additionally, the newer car has lost some of the quirkiness that was part of the 911 charm and mystic. For sure the new 911 is a much better car and I think that they will always be in high demand and therefore have high resale values. I just think they may not be as high as in the past.

As for the Boxster S. It is a great car. The midengine design provides for a broader range of neutral handling. It isn’t quite as fast as the 911 due to the smaller engine and it is a smaller car overall. But basically they are similar especially their interiors. I don’t think they will have quite as high resale value as the 911. But they are cheaper and still a great car. I would look into the price of maintenance and repair for the Boxster verses the 911 if money is an issue. I could be wrong about this but I think that the engine may have to be removed to do tune-ups. Although the same may go for the 996. It might be something to look into.

Personally, I’m not a fan of convertibles so the Boxster hasn’t been a car that I have learned about as much as the 911. If you are interested in a Boxster I’m sure there are others at JW that could provide you with some additional information.