View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Ok - first impressions?

Japanese is a lot harder to read than one might believe - even with a World War 2 GI phrase book

Visually - this game is stunning.... absobloodylutely stunning.

How good looking? I all they did was redo GT4 to look this good they woul dsell every copy tomorrow - thats without making any other changes to GT4.

This is the new benchmark for HD 1080p driving graphics - bar none. Every other driving game from this day forward will be judge against this standard - it is that good.

Features - who are we kidding here? This is a Prologue to the real game so not all the features are modeled yet - but the essentials are here. The game has a career mode, an "arcade mode" that is not really an "arcade" but merely a way to access and use your car in a time trial or quick 16 car faceoff.

The career mode progresses similar to other generations of GT. Nothing new or unique here, and is actually mildly refreshing - oh, and no license tests in this version.

No photo mode either, but - and this is the MOST important bit that EVERY other console driving game team has fucked up royally - there are stunning and fantastic and aweseom and wonderful and unbelievably great REPLAY CAMERAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can see a review of your race/event in classic GT style - the car modeling is show cased, the stunning tracks are showcased and more importantly, your driving is showcased.

The entire Forza Team sould be FORCED to sit down and actually watch a GT3/GT4/GT5 replay to learn what it is that works FOR THE END USER

G25 is supported 95% - clutch does not work at the moment, but the H-Gate does and 900 degree rotation i supported.

And the crown jewel so far?

GT5 class Interiors. Now you cant glance around like you can in PGR3/4, but they are modelled and fully funtional - complete with gloves drivers hands that leave the wheel to shift as you do.

Sounds: My first objective was to earn enough money to bu a C6 Z06 and take it round the Daytona road course - to see if the GT team had redeemed themslves from their one environmental flaw...

My God did they ever... sound is glorious and accurate... the muffled yet destinctive sound of the stock LS7 is spine chillingly duplicated. No whistling hairdryer sound here.. just a gloriously deep throated V8 snarl - forceful, yet muffled just like the stock car when heard from inside at speed.

Now they would score 100% in sound area, if they didnt have such screechy/scrapy tyre sounds - but I think it may be down to what types of tyre feedback some people like to hear.

I notice different tyres squeal differently on different surfaces - some howl, some scree, some screech and some scuff.

In GT5, they all scree like econo car tyres over concrete in the Walmart parking lot - not a deal breaker for me.

(although I do have a little issue with the lack of front end grip with the stock tyres in the Z06 - but now I am looking for flaws)

AI Drivers: Seems they have spent the last 2 years in driving school, and it has paid off - they are 100% better than the old AI drivers. But dont try brake check them or you will get rammed..

While there is no damage modelled, you do get time penalties if you try use the other cars as bumper stops - no more cheating And if you get off track into the gravel - you are in trouble.

Physics: apperas to be spot on... very predicatable and "life like' and when you review the replays, the car behaves so life-like it is mind boggling.

Summary:
This is going to be another benchmark driving game. It is fantastically engrossing and fun.

I will say it again - if Forza2 had G25 steering wheel, H-Gate support and GT3/4 style replays it would have been the "perfect" driving title - but it doesnt and as such it isn't.

Now, if GT5 final version includes some kind of car painting utility, car modification options and the ability to create custom racelineups and includes the The Nurburgring it will pretty much be "the utlimate driving game"

Now all I have to do is figure how to capture then 1080p replays for you guys to enjoy.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote