View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Wutputt
That's the downside of a FWD car with a high maximum torque like a diesel engine: the wheels spin very easily An you can certainly experience this on the pumpdöse VAG diesel engines. They react more violently compared to commonrail diesels.
Most current TC systems allow a certain wheelspin during a short period of time, after which they will interact. At least that's my experience. If you really take off violently TC will interact pretty fast, but if the wheels don't spin like mad it will take some time before the TC cuts in on the throttle.

As for the understeer going into a turn: if you're turning into a turn at a speed above what's physical possible, you'll get understeer, ESP or not. ESP just helps to control the skid, but I've you cross the physical limits, ESP can't do much about it. You can easily get sudden understeer in these winter conditions with an everyday family car on summer or 'all season' tires if you push a bit harder. I don’t think you’ve to get worried too much. BTW, ESP is turned on by default when the car is started.
So basically it only cuts in when the wheelspin is too violent but it lets the wheels spin a bit. This way you can make a faster launch.
Btw, you're right about VW's TDi's, IMO they're pretty sporty for a diesel but the torque really does come in big lumps.

We're going much faster round the bends with the A6 then we did with the Omega because it rolls a lot less. But you can definitly feel it's FWD when you try to give full throttle in a sharp corner.

@AlienDB7: damn dude, FWD with a 3.4 engine I'll try the oversteer bit on an empty parking lot when I'll have the chance

thx for the replies!!
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote