View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Retro11s
I find it very hard to believe that dealer plates would allow an FXX to be driven on public streets anywhere in the US. I remember when Porsche released the 959 and Bill Gates got one. They had not passed the crash tests for US approval and he tried to get it done with computer simulation. They would not accept it and the car (as other 959s in the US) have been relegated to a garage (or museums).

My guess would be that the administration (DOT?) that looks after allowing the car to be imported would require some sort of documentation indicating the car is intended for off road use (ie, racing) only or would be brought into compliance with US rules and regulations within a specific period of time.

And does anyone know about pollution controls on the car? Or crash test worthiness? Would it pass US rules and regulations for these two items?

Just a couple of thoughts on being able to drive one on the street....
The bottom line is this:

Any vheicle that is in the country, CAN be transported under it's own power on the public road if displaying temp/dealer/manufacturer tags.

Once the vehicle is in the country in private hands, one can assune that the problems of getting the car through customs/DOT etc inspection has been over come.

There is no debate that a temp/dealer tag will not qualify as "correct doumentation" to allow importation of said vehicle - but these are 12 totally seperate issues.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote