View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

I am guessing the Pinnacle device has some slim local operating system installed, and that is the source of the Fat32 limitation.

Philip, are your tapes Hi8 8mm? If so, I am thinking your easiest bet is to purchase a used Sony Digital8 camcorder for $100 of eBay, and use a firewire cable to simply capture directly to your Windows XP computer.

This is what I did to get my 8mm Hi8 tapes onto the PC.

As mentioned, Windows XP can natively format Fat32 partitions, so you should be able just plug the drive in and use Computer Manager and format the external drive - As Fat32 has a 2BG file size limtation, I am guessing the Pinnacle device is going to use some very aggresive compression to keep the files of the captured manageble.

Then again I have an older Pinnacle capture device that overcomes the 2GB Fat32 file size limitation with clever software that captures videos in 2GB pieces.

What is the ultimate goal with this excercise? As it turns out, video capture of various types is a "hobby" that I was forced to become more of an expert at than I ever wanted to be, a few years back when I had a pile of tapes I needed to digitize - so feel free to post any other questions you may have.

Paul

Last edited by RC45; 08-01-2008 at 01:57 AM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote