View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #51
lakatu
Regular User

Thanks st-anger for the video.

Personally I wouldn’t mind if Gemballa just vanished. I guess they serve some type of niche in the market place but their cars focus is so “artsy” I think it cheapens Porsche and 911 instead of elevating it. I don’t care for their aftermarket ground affects, spoilers or interiors. Have I left anything out? Oh ya their engines. From what I’ve heard 1.4 bars is too much for a reliable car. I’m guessing 300.000 euros is only the entrance fee, the costs just continues to rise from there :roll: .

There is one exception. I do like the "look" of their GT 600 BITURBO http://www.gemballa.com/Umr/G96_GT20...GT2003_sz.html . But then that look is really the elimination of the rear spoiler on the GT3 so it isn't really orginal. Either way I still wouldn’t want the car.

I think it is also a great example of what Gemballa is all about. Removing the rear spoiler on a GT3 while leaving the front or putting a GT3 front spoiler on a standard 996 is a terrible idea because it unbalances the downforces at the front and back of the car. A GT3 spoiler has more “lip” to it to create greater downforce. If you place that on a standard 996 at high speeds the backend will have more lift than it normally would have which is a bad idea in a rear engined car. From what I can tell Gemballa’s GT 600 has the greater downforce front spoiler without any changes to the rear downforce. Why because it looks good…and in IMO that is what Gemballa is all about .