View Single Post
Old 03-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Make sure you are not buying it from a 19-21 year old. Its bound to be tuned to an inch of its life
These are wise words!

Call me ageist but I would never buy a sports car from a younger person unless I knew them and knew how the car had been treated.

Thenumber1's comment was quite correct AFAIK, I heard Honda have not had a VTEC system failure on a STOCK ENGINE. When I bought my CRX VTEC in 1999 the guy selling to me mentioned that VTECs are very reliable.

No doubt plenty of modded ones out there that have gone pop though!

Apparently Honda have a number of NSX motors that have passed 100k miles ok and still run very well.

Any car with 100000km on the clock though, is probably not going to be putting out its original power output. Your 195hp may now be more like 185hp.

By the way, I've driven a year 2000 S2000 with 85,000 miles on it at Autocross, seemed fine to me. This particular car gets auto-x'd every weekend.

Sorry that some of this info is not relevant to the ITR, but its all VTEC motors I am talking about here.

I've had 3 of them, the CRX, the (1997 shape) Civic VTi, and the S2000. No problems with any of them, ever. Hondas really are very good cars (also had an '89 Accord with 100k miles on it and no problems with that either... didnt spend a penny on it and did a further 20k miles)

Would I buy an ITR with 60000 miles on it? Yes, but I would look for a one owner car with FULL service history, and no accident damage.

Be patient in your search, as it may take some time for a good example to appear on the market.

There is also the DC5 of course, or the newer shape Prelude to choose from also.

The 2.2 Prelude is a good car, I nearly bought one on a number of occasions!

Good luck and enjoy your search. Remember to check the Honda and 'Teg forums for cars for sale as well as Autotrader and the dealerships.

Sometimes you see them for sale on the Civic Type R forums (UK site) so dont just stick to Integra sites.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote