Thread: Hateful CGT
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 03:56 AM   #25
Regie
Regular User

He did compliment the steering for being extremely accurate & said that the car was very composed at high speeds. The engine, traction control systems, and the chassis.

He criticised (the clearance or lack of) and complained that it made climbing even minute kerbs a problem, the aluminum bit on the dashboard which caused distracting reflections and also didn't feel the interior was much. All features which are needed to be easy to use for a car to be considered a daily driver. He also felt the sat nav was difficult to use. The clutch copped some bad comments, but from what I've read by other journos, it is true.

The scariest , comment was how the rotors were crap (due to it being wet) and stopping the car from high speeds on the autobahn was difficult. I've heard this many times about carbon/ceramic brakes.

Originally Posted by s4racer
I'd really like to drive the GT, a car with such a little clutch, and practically no flywheel mass. must be a great track day car.

driving the single seat race car that i built, the car uses a motorcycle engine geared for insane acceleration, and you can't launch slowly in that car, the clutch is either engaged or open, there's no slipping of the clutch to modulate the launch. tried driving behind a chase car at a constant slow speed, and lot's of stops, it's near impossible to do without stalling, and lurching followed by hard braking.

i wonder if the GT is similar in stop-go traffic with it's racing clutch, and really light fly wheel assembly? i just want to drive one.
What sort of vehicle do you have, s4racer? Something similar to the Westfield 'busa or blackbird engined?

Originally Posted by RC45
With this in mind - very few, if any true supercars could stand up to this kind of automotive abuse without suffering greatly.

And of course - these cars are not made for this - and it would be rare that such a car owner did not have a fleet of luxo-sedans for daily duty...
Very true, it is hard to find a car (probably impossible) that is both at home on the track and on public roads. The journo mentioned that Germany's high speed highways were probably one of the few places in the world where the car can be 'unleashed', somewhat. In traffic it would be horrible and a clutchless manual would be better.
Regie is offline   Reply With Quote