View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
st-anger
Regular User

MOVED:

posted by Apac102

I just watched the CGT video and Jerm was complaining about that the car is nimble and you always gotta be on your toes. When you drove it, did you find the same problem? Was it really that much...especially when the Stig went around the bend and he spun out a couple of times.

:arrow: ...first, the CGT is no VW Golf, it´s more or less a race car for the road, i think it´s clear that JC is more the Benz guy
you know i used to drive Porsche since i got my driving licence, so i´m quite used to the typical Porsche handling and manners, especially since i´m working for Porsche it´s also my job and daily life to push the Porsche cars to the limit, also on the race track...
so i had no problems with the handling of the CGT, i expected it to feel like it felt, only "problem" was the clutch, but it´s really not that bad, again the press cars for all the tests are pre-production cars, with the final production version one can drive off even without adding too much gas, just like in a std. Porsche...
to drive the CGT at the limit is quite a challenge, that´s for sure, so not a really surprise for me that the Stig spun it, although he seems to be a very skilled driver, but that´s not that bad, only when pushing too far you´ll discover the limit of the car so that´s not a problem neither of the car nor of the driver....

Why Carrera GT has such a knife-edge on limit handling? because of the sophiciated aero dynamic or suspension design/set-up with CGT? or just simply because this car is too quick for "average driver"(sounds like "normal driving condition" on PCCB to me)

answer by ChrisAW11

It all lies in the basics of quickness and grip.
Here you have a possible acceleration/slip angle diagram of a slow car:

This again is a possible acceleration/slip angle diagram of a fast car:

Now slip angle is related with the steering wheel position of the car - actually it means the amount of "sideways" that the tires are going.
The possible acceleration that the car can deliver is the grip that you have left.
Obviously, the grip curve of the racecar goes up very fast, which means that whenever you start turning the steering wheel, it will be able to follow and turn like a madman. The slower car needs more slip to do that, and even at it's optimum slip angle, it just hasn't got the same sort of grip that the racecar delivers, which means it can't take the corner as quickly as the grippier car.

But then, you'll notice that after optimum grip, the racecar very quickly loses all the grip, while the slow one still has a good amount - that means, when you ask too much from a racing car, there is just about nothing left to save you, and you'll spin out. In the slow car, you'll have a good percentage of grip left, and in most cases you'll make it back into the safe side of the acceleration peak without leaving the road.

A grippy tire slips less, that's the basic principle to remember. It is directly related to another principle, "the higher the limits, the less fault tolerancy".

The Carrera GT obviously has enormous amounts of grip, very high limits, and thus it just hasn't got the fault tolerancy of a slower car.
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote