View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post

I am just amazed at how the entire globe was suckered into byuing the books, merchandise and supporting crap catapaulting JK Rowling to billionaire status.
well, I think it all comes down to taking the plunge at the right moment, there was a void in that genre for some time, people hungered for fantasy, especially that kind of fantasy where you have dragons, wizards, magical beings and comedy, even if it is british comedy, so we had dungeons and dragons and the stories got stale, too complicated, we had towers and Narnya, however all of those failed to identify with many people, so she created Harry, a weak, pathetic looking four eyes with a heart of gold and thrown into some stuff that he did not want to be in.

I believe it is this that first drew them towards the books, the idea of Harry growing up amidst all of this stuff, all the things that kids go through, the bullying, the first kiss, strife, etc etc, and then she was brilliant by intertwining harry against the worst evil ever, in my humble opinion, having read the books, the way she writes it, sometimes in the first person is fantastic, it's almost as if you were living the stories

so yes I love fantasy literature, I know she is no Tolkien, or Jules Verne but Rowling is great

Merry Christmas, HO HO HO!!

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote