View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #228
sentra_dude

I read this on a Porsche forum: [discussing the 997]
This is a perfect example of how much abuse you put on the syncro's when shifting from neutral into first gear when the car is not moving forward. For those of you who are in the practice of taking the the car out of gear at a stop light, better think again. It is not only unsafe and unnecessary, but can prematurely wear out the syncro's, causing grinding and gear pop out. Keep the car in gear.
Now, this goes in opposition to most of what I have heard/been taught...is it true?

It was in response to this post:
Has anyone had a problem shifting into first gear when coming to a stop? A couple of times I was at a complete standstill waiting for the light to turn green and when I pushed in the clutch so I can put the car into 1st, it didn't want to go in. Almost like something was blocking it.

I put it into 3rd and then back into 1st and it went in. First time it happened I thought maybe I didn't push the clutch in all the way, but it has happened a couple of times already and it concerns me.

Anyone else?...

The guy also said:
The arguement that many people make as to why they put the car in neutral when at a stop light is to save the throwout bearing from wearing out. No other part of the clutch system is engaged when you clutch pedal is pressed to the floor. The throwout bearing was designed to last far longer than even the most quality clutch disc will last. They are as durable as your wheel bearings which spin continuously as you drive. It is EXTREMELY rare that the throwout bearing would have problems before you needed to replace your clutch.

So, rather than take a chance on wearing out a $20 bearing that would cost $1500 to replace INCLUDING the cost of a new clutch kit), they prefer to take a chance on wearing out the synco's in the transmission. Makes no sense to me especially with the price of a new tranny being what it is. It isn't even safe to be in neutral when you are at a light or anywhere else on the street. Most of these people have never driven a car without syncro's where, if you weren't in first gear before the car stopped moving, you had to turn the car off to get it into gear.

What do you Porsche experts think about this...?

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote