View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
graywolf624
Regular User

Based onthe facts that just a perceived better quality of import cars had buyers flocking to buy the "better" cars.

I think you place far too much fath in statistics skewed to paint a postive picture.
And I think you choose to ignore 100 years of observations and scientific study to form an opinion based on your emotions rather then whats right for the US.

No - unions have unbelievable political clout and managment over the years had little choice but to agree.
We agree on the first part of the statement at least.

Yes - the pre-bankruptcy company is just a foot note in the media.. the post bankcruptcy company will be at the mercy of the anti-American media that did a good job of painting false pictures vizaviz quality etc.
From where I stand that media has been bashing GM as a potentia bankruptcy for over a decade. I guess Texas has more pro big 3 media then the north east.

Sure - and with the company goes the patents and technologies etc. So to make the most academic economic sense (which takes no strategic acocunt of the reality of a modern combative world into account) let the companies flounder and fail and let economic darwinism take its course.
First your assuming the patents will go to China. You or I could just as well be the next owner of those patents. 2nd off.. economic darwinism and free markets is the best choice. Unless your omniscient as a policy holder theres no way you can know what to promote and what will fail no matter your involvement. Involvement with the wrong group is good money after bad and encouraging the wrong type of movement of business. If you can't succeed then move over for those who can so they can have the capital.

as refusing to drill US oil is strategic suicide, so is not maintaining the integrity of tUS manufacturing.
Completely different issues. 1 has us focus on our comparative advantage which lowers the price of goods in the US.. The other (the oil duh) artificially jacks up prices by keeping someone out of the market that otherwise would be there. Kind of like protectionism actually.

Those profits leave the country and you are forgetting a little detail - non-secret ballot for union elections. There is a reason for this push by the Dems - all those UAW-free fuurin plants are in for a rude awakeing in 2009.
Maybe the solution then is to ban unions. As for where the profits go.. Who cares. The wages go into the local economy as does the employment. The goods sold are cheaper.. And we grab profits from elsewhere and those of us who own toyota stock get the profit anyway.

And I am willing to bet the "producitvity" reduction was not organic and rather fueled by unbalanced labour agreements, lopsided trade agreements and foreign punitive tariffs.
And you would be wrong. The reduction in US productivity is directly traced to 3 things: The drop in US savings rates, the culture where education is not valued, and the movement of technological advancement studies to other locations. Not a one of those has to do with trade and all of them are provable. Tech advancement has more influence on productivity then anything else in the world.

Everything else is made in China. This bares repeating - everything else after 1999 is made in China.
The numbers dont back your assertion. International trade is still only 10 percent or so of the US economy. Thats just your emotional take.

This short term pursuit of corporate office profit (and stock price performance) was very short sighted.
I won't argue against this.. But what goes up, also comes down. The companies are already realizing their mistake and bringing things back. Thats a company decision level though, not a government. Dont like it.. buy from the made in the US company.. Oh wait.. thats Honda and Toyota.

Strategic suicide is what it was.
Funny people use to make your same statements for Japan and the Soviet Union. How did that work out again?