View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 12:35 PM   #19
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by possessed_beaver
Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by sameerrao
^^^ I think Newey left originally because he felt that Patrick Head was cramping his style and not allowing him too much independence. So he could be back only if he is guaranteed full control. But why? He seems to have gone off the boil over the last past few years - his cars ahven't really shook the earth have they?
i think a lot of teams top engineers etc are getting too old and will soon be retiring, I think we will see a lot of fresh faces in teams in a few years. As for neway, they said williams have been struggling with their aero stuff, but he's hardly made a big impact recently at mclaren as you said, their cars have been way off the pace for the majority of this year
do you think it is more problems with reliablity and fixing rear wings to there cars, and tyre choices, then things that can be pinned on an "indervidual effort"
i think it was a team.. evreyone of them working together to stuff this season up.
Well a man in Adrian Newey's position as the Technical Director is responsible for coordinating all elements of the car design and provide the roadmap to future technical enhancement.

But he hasn't come up with anything special since 1998/1999. All his attempts for revolutionary change has come to nought. Sure the Mclaren has improved say a second and a half per lap per year but when Ferrari improves by 3 secs it is not good enough.

Sure a lot of the blame for this season can be blamed on a lack of power from the Mercedes engine and attrocious reliability. But some of the poor reliability is due to very tight rear cowl design which is causing the engines to overheat. Mercedes have gone off the boil after the death of the key Ilmor technical partner.

But engine apart, the Mclaren drivers were complaints of the MP4-19 were that the cars very difficult on the entry to corners and mid-corner. David mentioned understeer with oversteer midway through the corner. These can be attributed to weight balance front and rear, suspension settings, aero grip. All these are under the control of Mclaren.

Mclarens also use up their rear tyres more than the Renaults - again suspension issues.

Also in a race without technical issues (not many come to mind ), Mclaren has not really shown any special speed.

As the technical director, Newey needs to channel Mercedes, Mclaren and Michelin to get the most out of the car.

I hope the luck of Mclaren, Williams and Renault will change .. I want Ferrari to win but with a fight like last year

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote