View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #43
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI View Post
Power:
First impression...the acceleration is mind-blowing, spun all four on cold tires. The way this thing goes fast is kinda weird. It accelerates just as hard in every gear till 4th when we got off it because we were on a public road. Its just seamless, the shifts feel like little blips that just make the car go faster. It has no lag, it almost doesn't feel like a turbo car in any gear and it pulls ridiculously hard from very low RPM's. If it weighs 3800 pounds, then it hides it damn well. Its, dare I say it?, physics defying. The last time I felt acceleration like that was on an Ariel Atom 2, the supercharged one. The speed felt very similar, but while the Ariel felt like free energy was pushing it along, the GT-R felt like there was a giant invisible hand pushing it from behind. Like big big power pushing something with mass.
If you got anywhere near the numbers it runs in the magazines, it's going to feel dang quick. That would make for a fun ride! While I'll stand by the underrated hp theory, remember that this car has an aggressive 3.70:1 gear ratio. There's a reason hot rodders refer to a gear ratio change as "waking a car up." With it comes compromises mostly in that you lose low rpm highway cruising. I find it kind of funny that this sort of compromising "yestertech" found its way into the car that has come to symbolize speed through technowizardry.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote