Thread: lightest 600
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SWT
well i am saying so i have less to "fight" with when starting to ride. and i can focus on the other stuff rather then what am i going to do with all this weight. thanks for the input. is there a general rule about the drivibility of the brands of motorcycles? like yamaha more road worthy, suzuki is more racing, honda is a mix, etc.
The weight is not all that you have to worry about when learning - a light weigt LOW power bike will be condusive to learning - not a lightweight super-powered bike.

For this reason a 125cc 2-stroke RZ125 or Suzuki RG125 Gamma or a Kawasaki KR125 or Honda MB125 or NS125 etc are ideal - sadly the idea of tiered licensing to allow for superior skill development are not widely supported or encouraged.

[RANT ON]
You do not learn advance cycle control or other nuances while you are holding on for dear life - you master those skills when you are in control and able to absorb the stimuli around you and process all the input.

There is front braking, rear braking, gear selection, clutch action, throttle masterery, counter steering, body weight shifting, tucking sitting, leaning etc etc etc -- when mastered this makesd a great rider.

Being able to smoothly pull off and drive through 5 cones in the traffic departments parking lot and then make 3 left turns in front of a license inspector does not equate to "rider skillzzz"

This is a huge sore point with me - I hate how many motorcyle riders die and or are splattered on the freeways - needlesly.

If people learned to ride properly and with supurb skill before they jumper up the horsepower ladder there would be lees accidents and deaths.

[RANT OFF]

Buy what ever bike you want - my advice (and its free so you get what you pay for) is to start with little Kwakker 250 on the low end and a Suzuki SV650 on the high end.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote